Knot Under Nipple After Breast Implants?

I am 12 days post op from getting breast implants. I feel a small knot under nipple on left breast. Is this normal or could I be getting capsular contractures?

Not all things Firm are Capsular Contractures after Breast Augmentation

+1

This is probably not a capsular contracture after breast augmentation but rather a normal postoperative finding that should resolve on its own. Definitely have your surgeon weigh in on his opinion.

Although capsular contractures following breast augmentation  can occur just about anytime, most women start having symptoms around three months after their breast implant surgery. This is because it takes some time for a capsule to form and then to scar down (contracture). Therefore it is probably too early at 12 days to be concerned about this problem. Your plastic surgeon should be able to sort this our in short order.

Most likely a suture or tissues pulled together

+1

As your natural breast tissue is closed over the implant, typically in multiple layers, there is a palpable ridge referred to as a "healing ridge". This is a normal finding but your best course of action is to visit your plastic surgeon so he/she can reassure you themselves.

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

Not typical, but not contracture

+1

Jessica,

A knot under the nipple 12 days after breast augmentation has no relation to capsular contracture. Unfortunately, it is also not typical. It may represent a clogged milk duct, scar tissue, swelling or even a lymph node. Follow up with your surgeon for some guidance as to how you can treat it if necessary. Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

If your skin is thin then it is possible to feel the filling valve of a saline implant

+1

A knot under the nipple area is not the way a capsular contracture would develop. There are several possible reasons for what you are describing.

1. If you do not have much breast tissue then you may be palpating the filling valve on the implant. The filling valve of a saline implant is usually located directly behind the nipple at the center of the breast. If there is insufficient soft tissue to cover this area then it is certainly possible to feel it. The filling valve on Allergan saline filled implants is firmer and more prominent than on Mentor implants. I have seen a problem like this in the past.

2. If you had an areolar incision it is possible that the firmness that you are feeling is just an induration of the scar and the surrounding tissue. If this is the case then, over time, it will get better and eventually go away.

Not a capsule

+1

What you are feeling is not a capsule, they do not present that way and do not occur that quickly. Show the area to your Dr. and he/she should be able to tell you what is going on. It may be the implant filler port if it is saline.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon