Can I get knee surgery the same week as my breast augmentation?

I am wanting to get a breast augmentation but also need knee surgery. I want to use my vacation for work wisely. I also thought it would be very convenient so that no one I work with will know I got my boobs done. Is this safe or advisable thing to do; killing two birds with one stone.

Don't do both surgeries

+1
Thanks for your question. I agree with the others who are not in favor of both surgeries being done at a similar time. Theoretically there is the increased risk of infection. More of an issue however is the increased need to use your arms to help support you following your knee surgery. Crutches would be a disaster. Sorry to disappoint. Best of Luck!

BBA

+1
I would highly recommend against this.  I wouldn't offer this to my patients and would require that they recover from one prior to another surgery.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Can you combine knee surgery and breast augmentation

+1
Thank you for your question.  I do understand your desire to have 2 procedures done during 1 week..  However after knee surgery you may have difficulty walking, may need crutches and recovery from the surgery could complicate your recovery from augmentation mammoplasty.  I would suggest that you stage the procedures.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Knee surgery and Breast surgery during the same week

+1
If the knee surgery is small (i.e. arthroscopy), and if the orthopedic surgeon doesn't think you will have difficulty walking afterwards, it may be possible to get both surgeries during the same week.  This should not be done without the approval of both surgeons however.

Reza Momeni, MD
Summit Plastic Surgeon

Knee surgery and breast augmentation

+1
I think they should be staged. Recovering from knee surgery may complicate your recovery from breast augmentation.  Best of luck.

Combining cosmetic surgery with other surgeries

+1
Many patients feel that they can kill two birds with one stone by combining operations to both decrease cost and to streamline recovery into one time period. This makes sense when the operations complement one another and don't put you at risk, like doing a labiaplasty with breast augmentation, or blepharoplasty eyelid surgery with breast augmentation. When you combine two large operations that don't complement each other, you are asking for an increased risk of complications and an increased chance of a sub-optimal results. Your knee surgery will likely require you to use crutches for a period of time, and may require physical therapy - during all of which your upper body strength will be used. This can make it difficult for you to comply with some of the post op restrictions most plastic surgeons place on you after breast augmentation - such as no heavy lifting. I would recommend separating the procedures. If your knee surgery is not significant and you will not be immobilized or need crutches or physical therapy, then you can safely undergo the augmentation a few weeks later. If your knee recovery is more significant, I would allow time for a full recovery to ensure that your results from breast augmentation surgery are the best they can be.

Kamakshi Zeidler, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation and Knee Surgery May Not Be Advisable

+1
Your idea to combine recovery makes sense, but may cause problems for your results from breast augmentation.
After knee surgery, you will be compensating for your operated knee in part, by using upper body strength. After breast augmentation, you do not want to strain the chest (pectoral) muscles: too much activity can result in capsule contracture.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Knee surgery and breast augmentation

+1
Although seems like a good idea to have both the operations during your vacation time I would not advise it. I would definitely have your knee operation. I would at least wait six weeks after your knee operation plus clearance from your orthopedic surgeon to have your breast augmentation. If you have both during the same time period it will be a difficult recovery. You're going need your upper body strength to help you with your knee recovery. If you have a breast augmentation you will have minimal upper body strength and the inability to use your body and that will make your recovery very difficult.

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Knee/breast

+1
"Can" is probably not the right question. "Should" might be better. Recovering from two different surgeries at the same time can be rough. Also, you may require crutches and after the augmentation that is not likely to work out for you. "Can" you?....sure. "Should" you?....Nah. I would strongly discourage that.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD