Knee Surgery Left Internal Hypertrophic Scar, How to Treat?

I had ACL reconstruction done 2.5 months ago---the joint is healing, but one of the scars (endoscope port) is overdeveloping. This is affecting the tracking of my knee cap and causing pain when the scar tissue gets caught in the joint when I walk up stairs. My ortho said he hasn't seen this happen very often before. The skin surface is flat, but there is a lump about the size of a dime under the skin. Should I get referred to a plastic surgeon or derm? Ortho says cortisone could discolour area

Scar following knee surgery

+1

Photos would be helpful in better assessing your problem. Given the description of the problem and your orthopedic surgeon's comments, your best bet would be to see a board certified plastic surgeon. He/she can assess the situation and make recommendations that may include steroid injections, surgical excision, topical treatment or a combination of treatments. Dermatologists generally can't offer you this full spectrum of options.