What Kind of Tummy Tuck Would I Need & Could I Get Areola Reduction/Chest Skin Removal?

I went from 220 to 140 about 8 years ago and have excess skin on my stomach, would I need a full tummy tuck or just a mini one as it isn't that much skin? Also could i get my areolas reduced and/or excess skin removed from my chest without having huge scars under my pecs?

What's the Right Tummy Tuck?

+2

It isn't really possible to say which technique would best serve your needs without an examination to determine:

• the amount of extra skin
  • the amount of fat
  • the laxity (loss of elasticity) of the skin
  • the strength of the abdominal wall

Areola reduction may be a good option to consider.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Male massive weight loss and options for tummy, chest, breast & enlarged areola

+1

It is difficult to tell from the photo alone. However, if you underwent a mini tummy tuck, my educated guess is that you would be dissatisfied with residual loose skin above your belly button that would become apparent when you bend over. Areola reduction with limited circumareolar scars could be performed and may reduce the areolas but do little for the excess breast skin.

What Kind of Tummy Tuck?

+1

I would recommend that you need a full tummy tuck.  Unfortunately, if you have a lot of loose skin in your abdomen or breast region you need skin removed, which does mean scars will be involved. 

Robert N. Young, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and areola reduction

+1

With your history of weight loss, you probably would be best served with a full tummy tuck.  Idea patients for a "mini" are few and far between.  The improved shape of a full tummy tuck is usually well worth the longer scar.  The scar can be placed quite low and usually concealed by all but the raciest swimwear and undies.  A reduction in your areola diameter would make your breasts look nicer and could be done at the same time.  Obviously, you need to be evaluated in person by a plastic surgeon who can look at and feel your tummy and then make a recommendation.

Lisa Lynn Sowder, M.D.

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Full vs. mini tummy tuck

+1

If you can pinch excess skin around onto your hips, you need the full operation for the best result.  Very few patients are really candidates for the mini.

David A. Lickstein, MD

Full tummy tuck vs. Mini Tummy tuck

+1

In general, most patients are better candidates for a full tummy tuck, in particular if you have lost a lot of weight.  It's hard to know without examining you, but this would be my initial thought.  In addition, you could have the other procedures done at the same time, but I would recommend being seen by a plastic surgeon in your area to evaluate you in person and give you some options in terms of scar placement and what you could expect for results.

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS