What Kind of Treatments Should I Do for my Severe Acne Scars? (photo)

I had these acne scars for about 15 yrs. I had countless topical scar treatments, chemical peels, microdermabrasion, and laser resurfacing. But none of them worked!! I'm in the stage of hopeless. I just finished half course of accutane. I finished it because I feel I'm better and stopped for about 3 months already. I'm waiting for acne scars procedure, but still don't have any clue what kind of procedure I should do. Any advice would be highly appreciated. TIA

Hello

+1

In our office we have 2 lasers done together that would give you great results Profractional laser and micro laser peel.  If after that treatment you were looking for more we would recommend a mini face lift to stretch out your skin  from the scar that are deep. You should see a PS to help you give you permanent options for you situation. Good luck.

Severe acne scar treatment

+1

I would consider doing a combination of different treatments. You will need some type of resurfacing. With that I would also treat the deeper tissues. I would consider a mutilayered approach that has also co2 laser resurfacing involved with.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Acne scar treatment

+1

We have been getting good results with the fraxel laser

There is a new treatment called La Viv

Skin is taken from behind your eas ,and grown in tissue culture

This produces concentrated fibroblasts ,the cells that make collagen.These are then injected into the scars and produce collagen

initial results look very promising !

Web reference: http://beckermd.com

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Acne Scar Treatment

+1

This type of acne scarring may have been avoided by treating the acne much more aggressively when it was active.  Now you have atrophic acne scarring.  The photos are a little hard to view, but it appears that most of the scarring are depressed scars and very few ice pick type scars.  It is also difficult to determine your skin type.  Type I always burns and never tans.  Type VI always tans and never burns.  From the photo it appears that your skin type is a Type III, usually tans but sometimes burns.  Fillers such as Restylane or Juvenderm can be used to soften the depressions.  This type of treatment needs to be done over time and requires follow up treatments every 9-16 months.  Some form of CO2 laser treatment may also be a viable option for you.  Now with the use of fractionated CO2, we can usually avoid the hypo pigmentation associated with CO2 treatments.  My suggestion is to seek out a dermatologist that has had a lot of experience treating this type of post acne scarring

Fort Lauderdale Dermatologist

Treatment for Severe Acne Scars

+1

This is a difficult problem and improvement can be reached with a combination of treatments.  From the pictures, I can't really see your skin color/type and I don't know what type of laser resurfacing you've had in the past.

1. Do not attempt any aggressive therapy more than superficial peels or microdermabrasion one year after you discontinue the use of Accutane. 

2. Deep dermabrasion is an option one year after you discontinue Accutane.  The darker your skin, the bigger your chance for change in pigmentation after the procedure. If the treatment is aggressive, your expected recovery time is 6 weeks or longer and vigilant skin care is required during that time.  

3. A combination of injectable filler in the areas of volume loss combined with fractional non ablative/ablative treatment will also give you an improvement with less of a chance of complications. If you choose to go that route, my choice would be erbium fractional lasers more so than CO2 fractional lasers. If you are dark skinned, inquire about the experience of your doctors in treating skin like yours.

Good luck.

Morristown Plastic Surgeon