What Kind of Teeth Whitening Can Weaken Tooth Enamel?

Does drinking diet coke cause just as much damage to the enamel as teeth whitening? What is the best type of whitening to avoid enamel wear? Should there be a limit to the amount of at-home teeth whitening that is done each year?

Does Whitening Products Damage Enamel

+1

Dental whitening products do not damage your enamel.  These products only remove surface stains that are in the microscopic pores of your teeth.  The bleach does not penetrate deeply within the tooth.  This is why intrinsic (deep) stains, such as Tetracycline stains, do not bleach well.  As far as sodas, diet Coke is still acidic and an overabundance of it can damage the enamel of your teeth.  Hope this helps.  

Houston Cosmetic Dentist

Does Teeth whitening cause enamel damage

+1

This is a question I get asked frequently.  The professional whitening products do NOT cause damage to the enamel.  The teeth have small holes in them like a sponge.  The whitening products remove small stain and proteins from the surface of the teeth to allow more light to reflect...thus, allowing you to see a brighter tooth!

Houston Cosmetic Dentist

Whitening doesn't cause enamel wear

+1

I have been whitening teeth for many years in my office and have never seen a case where the enamel of the tooth was damaged from the whitening product.  I also see people all the time who have damage on their teeth from drinking soda pop.  Even the sugar free pop, like diet Coke, is very acidic and will erode and eat away the enamel of the teeth.  There can be some temporary sensitivity from whitening, but no permanent damage.  Most people also only need to whiten a few days a year to keep their teeth bright.

Blaine McLaughlin DDS

Cedar Rapids Cosmetic Dentist

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.