Which Kind of Surgery Do I Need for my Broken Nose?

I broke my nose almost six months ago and it's now noticeably curved and crooked. I had avoided treatment because I wasn't sure I'd be able to pay for it since I have no insurance, but now I want to wait no longer. Is it possible to fix my nose after all these months, and if so, will I need to have corrective "rebreaking" surgery or an actual rhinoplasty?

Surgery for broken nose

+1

To straighten out the crooked nasal bones from a fracture requires a procedure called open reduction of the nasal fracture with stabilization. This basically involves osteotomies of the nasal bones both medial and lateral (which straightens out the nasal pyramid). Occasionally we have to place spreader grafts that are composed of the patients own cartilage into the upper lateral cartilages if they are concaved and sunken in from the fracture. If the nose has been broken one also needs to consider whether or not they need to have a septoplasty because a severe nasal break will almost certainly have broken the internal septum of the nose. The average cost for a septorhinoplasty is approximately $7000 to $8000.

Web reference: http://www.seattlefacial.com

Surgery for Broken Nose

+1

Whether or not your bones need to be broken to straighten your nose, the surgery can be called a rhinoplasty which is an operation to reshape the nose. You probably will need to have osteotomies to reposition the nasal bones. Waiting 6 months will not compromise your result.

Fixing a broken nose can make it look better

+1

Yes, you are most likely able to get your crooked nose fixed, but it may require the use of cartilage and/or bone grafts.  Also, the bones along the side of the nose may need to be "re-broken" to get them to be straight again.  The recovery takes about one week and it's important to avoid contact sports for 6 months afterward to prevent your nose from more potential injury.  Good luck!

Web reference: http://www.BaltimorePlasticSurgery.com

Broken nose repair: Sometimes like straightening a crooked wire

+1

The surgery depends on the extent of the deformity and an assesment of the tissues involved: bone, cartilage, skin and soft tissue. In many instances this is best treated with a camouflage graft to conceal the deformity rather than trying to actually correct it by "rebreaking" it. I liken a broken nose to straightening a crooked wire. Sometimes what we do is create a counter-bend to an existing bend so that the overall trajectory of the wire is straight rather than truly straightening every little bend.

Broken Nose

+1

As stated an open reduction of the nasal bony fractures for realignment with a concomitant septaloplasty for the traumatic deviated septum.  Best of Luck. 

Surgery for a broken nose

+1

Sorry to hear about your broken nose.  In order to treat your issues, you will like need a rhinoplasty which involves resetting of your nasal bones and straightening your septum.  The combination of these two procedures should have a nice effect on your appearance.  Good luck with your surgery.

Web reference: http://www.shaferplasticsurgery.com

Treatment for a broken nose.

+1

You will need to have the septum and nasal bones realigned. Usually, the surgeon refractures the bone if it is crooked and holding the septum to one side.

Rhinoplasty after nasal fracture

+1

Waiting at least 6 months to revise or treat an old nasal fracture may be enough time.  You should get an evaluation by a board certified plastic surgeon.

Rhinoplasty for a Broken Nose

+1

Based on the description given of a twisted nose after trauma, it is likely that you have at least fractured your nasal bones and possibly fractured your septum.  This will likely require a septorhinoplasty with osteotomies (breaking of the nasal bones); a thorough evaluation by a Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon or Plastic Surgeon will give more definitive answers.

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Broken, Deviated Nose Correction 6 months after Injury

+1

Regarding: "Which Kind of Surgery Do I Need for my Broken Nose?
I broke my nose almost six months ago and it's now noticeably curved and crooked. I had avoided treatment because I wasn't sure I'd be able to pay for it since I have no insurance, but now I want to wait no longer. Is it possible to fix my nose after all these months, and if so, will I need to have corrective "rebreaking" surgery or an actual rhinoplasty
?"

It is much easier to re-set broken noses within days of the injury. Once the bones and cartilage remain ans set in their new location the correction is more challenging.

The operation required in YOUR particular case would depend what parts of the nose are affected and in what way. This would dictate the choice of operations. It is likely that not only your nasal bones were broken but your septal cartilage was injured as were its attachments to the floor of the nose or higher resulting in the tip deviation. Depending on your particular findings, you may require a comprehensive rhinoplasty and septal operation.

The best way to find out is to consult a Plastic surgeon and have a full examination.

Dr. Peter Aldea