What Kind of Retainer After Braces is Better, Clear Plastic or Wire?

I wore braces 18 years ago when I lived in Texas. The orthodontist gave me a retainer afterwards that looks like an invisalign tray. I absolutely loved this retainer and it kept my teeth perfectly straight for years! When I lost it and went to get a new retainer the new orthodontist in Florida gave me a wire one, and I noticed it didn't keep my teeth as perfectly straight even though they insisted it was better. What type of retainer is more effective?

Clear retainers vs acrylic and wire retainers

+3

I have worked extensively with both types of retainers and I have found that clear retainers retain better. I will always try to use clear retainers but sometimes they are not the best choice for a given patient. Minor tooth movement can also be accomplished with clear retainers to correct minor relapses.

Tustin Cosmetic Dentist

There are pros and cons to each. Listen to you doctor.

+3

Each type has their pros and cons. For example:

Clear retainers are not noticeable and if worn well hold the teeth very well.  On the other hand, they can be worn through with heavy grinding or become distorted when exposed to heat.  

The wire of typical Hawley retainers wrap around the front surface of the teeth.  They allow the teeth to naturally "settle" into place much better since there is nothing covering the biting surface.  They also allow for easy adjustment to help keep teeth in check.

So in summary, if you are cosmetic conscious and your finished result is near perfect, you don't need any adjustment or settling, and don't grind your teeth, the clear ones are a good way to go.

To really answer this question for YOU  it is imperative that as you talk with your orthodontist and trust his/her judgment.

Doug Depew, DMD
Atlanta Orthodontist

Clear vs. Wire Retainers

+1

The two types of retainers that you mentioned are the most common types of retainers.  They both have advantages and disadvantages.  Some orthodontists primarily us the wire retainers (Called Hawley retainers, named after Dr Hawley from many years ago) because they have been around the longest.  I typically use Hawley retainers on the upper, mostly nights only, because I do a lot of expansion of narrow upper jaws to ideal.  The Hawley holds the expansion better than the invisible retainers do.  Invisible retainers hold individual tooth alignment better in many cases, especially on the lower front teeth.

Kent Lauson, DDS, MS
Denver Orthodontist

To wire or not to wire, that's the question

+1

Clear retainers vs wire retainers...they both have pros and cons! Depending on your particular situation, your orthodontist will recommend the best option for you. Function, stability, esthetics, comfort are some of the considerations. We tend to use clear retainers more often because they look good, less bulky and work well!

Stephen Yao, DDS
San Jose Orthodontist

Retention after braces can be done equally effectively with wires or clear trays

+1

Ultimately, compliance is the key.  Clear trays allow usage at all times of the day, wires tend to be worn only at night.  Nothing works 100% of the time and you will hear arguements for each style.  Wires do allow some modification that clear aligners do not.

There is no right answer.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist