What Kind of Results Can Profractional Laser Give Without Coagulation? (photo)

I'm a type IV-V skin colour, my background is west indian, and I'm looking into profractional laser, all the dermatologists I've talked to have recommended around 4-5 treatments of profractional. The only concern I have is that, I have already used the dermaroller for 4 months, penetrating up to 2mm into the skin but didn't see much results. My scars are shallowly indented on the right side of my cheek. Dermatologists recommend to get it done without coagulation, is it worth it?

Profractional FX for scars on Type V skin

+2

Profractional treatments to your scars would definitely be beneficial and result in smoothing of the scar.  For your particular skin type you would not want nor need any coagulation as it will likely cause some persistent pigmentation.  You would also want to keep the total area treated in the 11% range, as higher percentages will result in a buildup of heat with the same risk.

Los Gatos Dermatologic Surgeon

Modest scar improvement expected with Profractional laser

+1

I agree that Profractional laser could be helpful, but this will require more treatments than are typically used because of the gentler settings required to limit post-inflammatory pigmentation (5-8 range).  Also, I would consider alternating the Profractional laser with use of a non-ablative 1540 laser device (also with gentler settings).  Overall, though, I would expect maybe 50% improvement in the appearance of the scars at best.

Michael Contreras, MD
Englewood Dermatologist