What Kind of Results Should I Expect from a Tummy Tuck?

I am a 27 year old female, maintaining weight of 180lbs now for 8 months after a 95lb loss. I wear a size 10 jeans (I'm 5'7") and am very happy with my overall appearance except for my mid-section. I am considering a tummy tuck but wonder if I will even get good results? I don't care if I have washboard abs, I just want to not be carrying around what feels like an extra appendage in my middle. Can you please advise what a realistic expectation is for results? I only want 1 procedure, period.

Tummy Tuck Results and Reasonable Expectations

+2

Based upon the information that you have you have provided, I believe that you could expect some pretty dramatic visual improvements in your abdominal region following a properly performed abdominoplasty (tummy tuck procedure).

As you are most likely aware, the tummy tuck procedure is specifically designed to address the predictable changes that  occur in the abdominal region subsequent to weight gain followed by weight loss and/or pregnancy/pregnancies. These changes typically and, in most cases, predictably involve the skin, fat, and muscle layers of the abdominal region.

Your pictures reveal the predictable changes of loss of abdominal skin elasticity (most conclusively demonstrated by the presence of stretch marks), skin excess, the persistence of extra-abdominal fat, and muscle separation/relaxation. 

You probably are experiencing the following: walking around sucking in your tummy 24/7, bloating after you eat, being limited in the clothes that you want to wear and can wear, and not getting noticeable changes in the appearance of your tummy region, no matter how much dieting and exercise you engage in. 

However, assuming that you current weight has been stable and that you are not "killing" yourself with caloric restriction/caloric expenditure to maintain this weight and assuming that you are otherwise healthy, it is my opinion that a properly performed tummy tuck will resolve all of the above corollary issues in addition to giving you dramatic anatomic improvements in your abdominal region.

I also believe that, if you were my patient, I could reasonably achieve such results exclusively through a horizontal incision (i.e. no vertical incision).

I hope this helps and wish you Good Luck!!

Expectations after Tummy Tuck?

+1

Congratulations on your significant weight loss.

I think you are an excellent candidate for an extended tummy tuck procedure;  given your weight loss and your current anatomy I think it is fair to expect a very nice result after the procedure.

Please make sure you consult with well experienced board certified plastic surgeons.

Weight-loss patients are often excellent candidates for tummy tuck

+1

Congratulations on the astounding weight loss!  You happen to be a textbook candidate for a tummy tuck.  You have a tremendous amount of extra loose skin.  You are very likely to be pleased with the results of surgery.  There is really no other way to treat this problem, encountered by virtually all people who lose 100 pounds.  I have attached some examples of results from my website.

Eric Swanson, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

+1
You are an absolutely perfect candidate for a tummy tuck and would get an excellent result. I think you should consult a board certified plastic surgeon in your area and I am sure you will be able to find a surgeon who can give you the result you are looking for.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

You should absolutely get good results

+1

Based on your photos there is no reason why you shouldn't get a great result.  You are a great candidate an Anchor Abdominoplasty with possible contouring of the back and flanks as well through Liposuction.  Do your homework and make sure you chose a very qualified Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  In my experience patients that have such a large amount of extra tissue as you do have an extremely high patient satisfaction rate post surgery.  Good luck to you and congrats on your weight loss.

Renato Saltz, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck is an excellent procedure

+1

Tummy tuck is an excellent procedure fro some one with excess skin and excess fat at their mid- section. From your picture you have both and a large enough fold of skin that you can move around in your hands. A tummy tuck procedure ( abdominoplasty) should remove the excess skin with its underlying fat, tighten up your muscles and give you a flatter appearance. I usually add liposuction to the waist or hip area to give a more smooth hour glass figure.

Sheila Bond, MD
Montclair Plastic Surgeon

Timing Of Tummy Tuck After Weight Loss

+1

If you are happy with your current weight after losing 95 pounds, you most likely will be pleased with the result of a tummy tuck at this time.  You might obtain an even better result if you lose an additional several pounds before undergoing the procedure but you certainly  can have the operation at your current weight. 

John Whitt, MD

Who is a candidate for Tummy Tuck?

+1

All women who have loose abdominal tissue, stretch marks or loose muscles after pregnancy and everyone who has lost considerable weight that has resulted in above mentioned changes in stomach area is a candidate for tummy tuck.

Your posted photos make you a candidate for tummy tuck. 

Vasdev Rai, MD

Tummy tuck after weight loss

+1

A tummy tuck procedure can significantly improve abdominal contour.  During a tummy tuck procedure, excess skin and fatty tissue is removed from the lower abdomen.  For patients with significant excess skin, a tummy tuck may provide dramatic results.  There are different techniques used by plastic surgeons.  After an evaluation by your plastic surgeon, discuss the different tummy tuck or body contouring techniques. 

David Bray, Jr, MD

Expect to look great!

+1

The high lateral tension abdomenoplasty is a great technique to get rid of the excess skin, liposuction the unwanted upper abdomenal and hip fat and create a beautiful hour-glass shape.

Some doctors like the Vertical scar technique to help remove unwanted skin. My feeling is to save this technique for the most extreme cases. The HLT will serve you well.

Find a physician with experience in both techniques and review their photos to be certain that they are up to the task.

Good Luck and expect a fantastic result!

Robert M. Freund, MD