I would like to fix how wide my nose gets when I smile, what kind of results can I expect from a Rhinoplasty? (photos)

I would really like to fix how wide it is/gets when I smile and possibly the profile. I was wondering what kind of results I could expect from a rhinoplasty- pictures would be great, too. I don't have a bump that I need to fix so it would mostly be the nostrils/tip that would need to get worked on if I chose to. (I may be wrong)

Fixing a wide nose

Thank you for your inquiry!

It seems that you are a good candidate for a rhinoplasty that will improve the way your nose looks to complement your facial features in a natural fashion. However, without a physical examination it is not possible to provide you with specific details. I highly recommend that you schedule a consultation with a well-experienced surgeon.

It is important to mention that the finest cosmetic results in any particular case are based on a variety of factors, including: the unique anatomy of the patient, realistic expectations, a well-informed and detailed discussion with your plastic surgeon concerning the best options for you especially covering a deep understanding of the pros and cons of any given choice you will adopt.

Please keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon online who offers to tell you what to do without a physical examination covering the nature and the status of the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative solution would not be in your best interest. With that in mind, it is the safest and for your best interest to find a plastic surgeon with solid experience and certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who is ideally a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons that you will trust and be comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Good luck!!!

Ali Sajjadian, MD FACS

Rhinoplasty can enhance the nasal appearance

Rhinoplasty surgery can improve the appearance of the nose.  This is a surgical procedure so each patient must understand there are risks and potential problems that can arise. I use computer imaging to allow my patients to see what results may be possible and better understand the process.

Robert Mounsey, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

I would like to fix how wide my nose gets when I smile, what kind of results can I expect from a Rhinoplasty?

The tip can be refined  to make it appear less wide through a closed rhinoplasty approach without any visible scars.

Botox or Rhinoplasty: depends on what is your main concern...

Thanks for your question.

I believe your problem's solution is easier than what you think. The excessive movement of the muscles around the nose when you smile can be corrected with a Botox application on each side of  the nose. Another good thing you'd be getting out of this is that you'd also reduce your "gummy smile" (which is the excessive gingival exposure when you smile).

Now, if your concern is your nose and its width, then a rhinoplasty would be the correct indication for your case. When this surgery is performed, normally a fibrous tissue found at the tip of the nose is cut and this automatically decreases the movement of the tip of the nose when smiling. 

Hope this clears your doubts. 

Take good care of yourself, 

Dr. Fernandez Goico

Luis A. Fernandez Goico, MD

posted action in life photos are not very helpful. Best to seek IN PERSON opinions from boarded docs in your city/state. Also ask about the "gummy smile"... 

Wide Nose

Better pictures are needed to make a full recommendation.  I can see that your nose is too big for your face.  You are a candidate for Rhinoplasty surgery, but to be more specific better photos are needed.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Rhinoplasty will not prevent the nose from being wide when u smile.

Rhinoplasty will not prevent the nose from being wide when u smile. You can have a more attractive nose with tip platy to refine the tip and narrow the base without touching the bridge. See a very experienced rhinoplasty surgeon for the best results.

Nose shape versus nose movement

If you like the way your nose looks from the front and side profiles when you are not smiling and are simply concerned about how the width of your nose changes when you smile you may want to consider a little botox first.  The muscles that allow us to smile also pull on the tissue near the nose and change the way our nostrils appear as well as the tip of our nose.  I recommend seeking several consultations with board certified plastic surgeons and discuss these issues with them.  Inquire about the possibility of using botox to decrease the "gummy" smile and if this would help with the effect of the smile action on the shape of your nostrils/nose.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Wide Nose

The pictures you sent provide a limited view of your nose. The wide tip can be reduced and refined but I need to see a full set of pictures as described on my website to make more specific recommendations.