I would like to fix how wide my nose gets when I smile, what kind of results can I expect from a Rhinoplasty? (photos)

I would really like to fix how wide it is/gets when I smile and possibly the profile. I was wondering what kind of results I could expect from a rhinoplasty- pictures would be great, too. I don't have a bump that I need to fix so it would mostly be the nostrils/tip that would need to get worked on if I chose to. (I may be wrong)

Rhinoplasty can enhance the nasal appearance

+1
Rhinoplasty surgery can improve the appearance of the nose.  This is a surgical procedure so each patient must understand there are risks and potential problems that can arise. I use computer imaging to allow my patients to see what results may be possible and better understand the process.

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

I would like to fix how wide my nose gets when I smile, what kind of results can I expect from a Rhinoplasty?

+1
    The tip can be refined  to make it appear less wide through a closed rhinoplasty approach without any visible scars.

Botox or Rhinoplasty: depends on what is your main concern...

+1

Thanks for your question.

I believe your problem's solution is easier than what you think. The excessive movement of the muscles around the nose when you smile can be corrected with a Botox application on each side of  the nose. Another good thing you'd be getting out of this is that you'd also reduce your "gummy smile" (which is the excessive gingival exposure when you smile).

Now, if your concern is your nose and its width, then a rhinoplasty would be the correct indication for your case. When this surgery is performed, normally a fibrous tissue found at the tip of the nose is cut and this automatically decreases the movement of the tip of the nose when smiling. 

Hope this clears your doubts. 

Take good care of yourself, 

Dr. Fernandez Goico

Luis A. Fernandez Goico, MD

+1
posted action in life photos are not very helpful. Best to seek IN PERSON opinions from boarded docs in your city/state. Also ask about the "gummy smile"... 

Tip Rhinoplasty

+1
Thank you for your question. A conservative tip rhinoplasty will help to improve tip definition and to decrease the width of the tip.  Consider an in person consultation to discuss this matter further. Best wishes.

George Bitar, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Wide Nose

+1
Better pictures are needed to make a full recommendation.  I can see that your nose is too big for your face.  You are a candidate for Rhinoplasty surgery, but to be more specific better photos are needed.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Rhinoplasty will not prevent the nose from being wide when u smile.

+1
Rhinoplasty will not prevent the nose from being wide when u smile. You can have a more attractive nose with tip platy to refine the tip and narrow the base without touching the bridge. See a very experienced rhinoplasty surgeon for the best results.

Nose shape versus nose movement

+1
If you like the way your nose looks from the front and side profiles when you are not smiling and are simply concerned about how the width of your nose changes when you smile you may want to consider a little botox first.  The muscles that allow us to smile also pull on the tissue near the nose and change the way our nostrils appear as well as the tip of our nose.  I recommend seeking several consultations with board certified plastic surgeons and discuss these issues with them.  Inquire about the possibility of using botox to decrease the "gummy" smile and if this would help with the effect of the smile action on the shape of your nostrils/nose.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Wide Nose

+1
The pictures you sent provide a limited view of your nose. The wide tip can be reduced and refined but I need to see a full set of pictures as described on my website to make more specific recommendations.

Rhinoplasty to narrow wide nostrils and bulbous tip

+1
The rhinoplasty procedure can narrow the bulbous tip with suture techniques applied to the lower lateral cartilages. When the cartilages are excessively wide and thick, a conservative amount of cartilage can also be removed. To narrow wide nostrils,  an alar plasty is performed, which involves removing a small wedge of skin at the base of the nostril. The rhinoplasty procedure is done for static purposes, not dynamic, so the nose will still widen when smiling.