What Kind of Questions Should I Ask During my Consultation with a Rhinoplasty Surgeon?

What do I need to know about rhinoplasty surgery? What kind of questions should I ask about the surgeon? How many surgeons should I consult?

What to ask during your rhinoplasty consultation

+2

There are a few key things you should find out from your potential rhinoplasty surgeon:

1. Are the changes that you want made to your nose reasonable? Does the surgeon feel they can obtain the results you want?
  2. Can the surgeon show you digital morphing of what he or she feels is a possible result?
  3. How experienced is the surgeon with rhinoplasty and nasal surgery?
  4. What will the surgeon do to make sure that your nasal breathing is maintained (or made better)?
  5. Can you see before and after photos of the surgeon's other patients? How far out from surgery are the after photos taken (you generally want 1 year postop photos to see that the surgeon has more durable results)?
  6. How long does the surgeon follow his or her patients postoperatively? I find that surgeons who follow their patients for a minimum of 1 year (ideally more) do the best job of continually refining their technique over the years. Rhinoplasty is the most difficult facial plastic surgery procedure there is. You want to find a surgeon who truly has an interest producing the best, most durable results possible.

Certification and experience

+2

Make sure your surgeon is a board-certified facial plastic or general plastic surgeon with a special interest in rhinoplasty. Get a few consultations and find a surgeon who shares your goals and visions. Computer imaging in the doctors office can be a great communication tool to help the surgeon understand your goals and to help you to have realistic expectations. Good luck!

J. Charles Finn, MD
Raleigh-Durham Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

+1

Ask the surgeon how long he/she has been performing rhinoplasty

How many rhinoplasties has the surgeon performed

What is the surgeon's revision rate.  (If the surgeon does enough rhinoplasties the surgeon will have had to do some revisions)

Also ask the questions you want answered such as: How much bruising and how long should it last.  How much pain after surgery.  Intranasal or external approach to surgery.  Activity and sun limitations after surgery.What are the possible problems after surgery. etc  What changes does the surgeon believe are achievable.

Paul Carniol, MD
Summit Facial Plastic Surgeon

Proper Questions to Ask Your Potential Rhinoplasty Surgeon are Critical

+1

This is perhaps one of the most fundamental and best questions I have seen posted here. I have comprised a brief list of question below.  Please keep in mind that you need to ALWAYS USE YOUR "GUT" FEELING and INSTINCTS about your surgeon's honesty and skill to deliver results beyond the preliminary answers you receive.   Also keep in mind that the surgeon's age alone does not necessarily mean he/she has the right experience that serves your interests.  A surgeon could be performing bad rhinoplasty for 30 years or good rhinoplasty for 6 years.  Here you go:

-First off, board certification in plastic surgery or facial plastic surgery is the most basic starting point. While board certification does NOT INSURE ARTISTIC UNDERSTANDING, it is a necessary foundation.

--Experience in rhinoplasty specifically is huge.  Ask the surgeon and look on the internet to see if your surgeon is involved in teaching Rhinoplasty and on what levels. If your surgeon has WRITTEN numerous expert CHAPTERS and peer-reviewed SCIENTIFIC ARTICLES on rhinoplasty topics and has lectured at RECENT CONFERENCES then chances are he/she is intimately involved in advancing this very challenging plastic surgery procedure.

--Ask to see as many before after results as possible and make sure they are recent. If they look like most are from the 80s or 70s then it does not tell you what your surgeon is really doing NOW with his/her rhinoplasty techniques.  The before afters should be of numerous types of noses and ethnicities as well and all the views should be shown NOT JUST THE PROFILE VIEW!

--Ask for details in the plan.  3-D imaging DOES NOT tell you anything about the skill level of your surgeon to deliver real life results and should only be used as a rough guide. I personally don't think this imaging is very important because Rhinoplasty is such a detailed meticulous operation of half millimeters and unless an expert graphic designer is involved.

--Make sure your surgeon does not force his aesthetics on you and LISTENS TO YOU.

Good luck. Below are some links that may help further. You asked an excellent question! Dr Ghavami

Ashkan Ghavami, MD

There are 19 Smart Questions to Ask at Rhinoplasty Consultation

+1

Hi there,

In my book, THE ESSENTIAL COSMETIC SURGERY COMPANION,  I list 19 questions that are reasonable to ask at rhinoplasty consultation. You might not need to ask all of them but at least you won't miss anything important.

Here are the five key questions :

1. "Am I a good, fair or poor candidate? If not a good candidate, why?"

2. " Tell me, part by part, exactly what changes you suggest? "

3. " Can you show me the predicted result via computer imaging?"

4. " I would like to see at least 25 before and after cases you have done and particulary a case similar to mine"

5.  "How many nasal cosmetic surgeries have you done in your career and what percentage of your practice is rhinoplasty?"

- Robert Kotler,MD, FACS

Author, SECRETS OF A BEVERLY HILLS COSMETIC SURGEON

Robert Kotler, MD

Questions for rhinoplasty consult

+1

First review your own motivations and expectations for the procedure. Are they realistic? Do you want (think) you will have the same nose as a celebrity or model? Can you live with improvement and not perfection? Do you expect the procedure to change your personal or professional life?

Then look for a board certified facial plastic or general pplastic surgeon with an interest in rhinoplasty and who does it regularly. Look at before and after photos of other patients of his to judge his/her aesthetic sense. Use computer imaging for communication. Have several visits if necessary. When you feel confident that you are both on the same page regarding desired result and if it is achievable then go ahead.  

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Consultation

+1

Please make sure you consult with a board certified facial plastic or plastic surgeon who is a specialist in rhinoplasty.  In addition to feeling comfortable with the surgeon, there are 2 important factors to consider: 1) aesthetics and 2) functionality of the nose postoperatively.  You don't want to compromise either.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Nose

+1

You need to ask about experience. Also, ask exactly what you doctor can do and be sure it matches your expections. Look at pictures if other patients/ Above all feel comfortable with the office and tha doctor. As to how many consults look untikl you are satisfied

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Rhinoplasty Questions

+1

This is a very good question, because Rhinoplasty is probably the most challenging aesthetic procedure that we perform.  In the consultation, there are questions that you should ask, information you should provide, and observations you should make.  The information you should provide relates to the expectations you have from the procedure.  After giving this information, the first question you should ask is whether or not your expectations are realistic given the nose you were born with.  The second question you should ask is whether Rhinoplasty is a large part of the Surgeon's practice. The same question should be asked about revision Rhinoplasties and the Surgeon's revision rate.  Likewise, you should ask about expected downtime, and how the postoperative process is likely to unfold.  You should have a separate preoperative visit, where pre- and postop instructions are discussed and given to you in writing.  The observations you should make relate to whether you "click" with your Surgeon, whether you like the Surgeon's results, whether you are treated well by the office staff, and whether the information given to you makes sense.  Ask your primary Doctor, your Dermatologist, and your Hair Stylist who they would recommend. I would recommend at least two consultations, but don;t stop there if you aren't satisfied. 

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Questions to ask a plastic surgeon during a rhinoplasty consultation

+1

There are certainly a lot of questions you will want to ask a plastic surgeon during a rhinoplasty consultation. The top 3 questions I recommend asking are:

1. Does the doctor offer 3D digital modeling? I like to think of 3D digital modeling as a way of empowering you, the patient. The process involves computer technology, which reproduces your face and nose from photographs onto a screen in 3D, and allows the surgeon to alter the nose and show you what the results will potentially look like. This technology helps you to see what the results of the surgery will look like to make sure you and the surgeon are on the same page.
  2. What technique will be used for your rhinoplasty? One of the most important aspects of rhinoplasty that you will discuss with your potential plastic surgeons are the techniques used in your surgery. For example, open vs. closed rhinoplasty, revision rhinoplasty or non-surgical rhinoplasty.
  3. How much experience does the surgeon have? You want to trust your rhinoplasty surgeon, so be sure to ask about his/her education and experience. Be sure they are board certified and have experience with patients who have similar nose issues to the ones you are trying to correct.

See the link I provided for an in-depth article that further explains these 3 questions.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD