Is This Kind of Nose Tip Augmentation, Repositioning of Nostril Angle, and Perhaps Reduction of Nostril Width Possible?

Is this kind of nose tip augmentation, repositioning of nostril angle, and perhaps reduction of nostril width possible? I think the main problem with my nose is that the nose tip is too short, which is why sometimes my nostrils look wider than they really are and also the angle of my nostrils, instead of pointing straight down, is more diagonally down making my nose and overall face look ugly.

Tip Augmentation is often the key to a great rhinoplasty results.

+2

Congratulations on picking up on one of the most important factors in nasal appearance!  Too frequently both patients and some surgeons seem to focus on reduction, reduction, reduction, and this sometimes leaves a nose with less shape and structure than before.  However, you are right on track at considering tip augmentation or as we term it, "increasing tip projection".

This can be done surgically either strengthening your cartilages with sutures, or with cartilage grafting.  It may also be done non-surgically with injectable fillers carefully placed for tip projection.

I often recommend against nostril reduction, because personally I believe that nostril flare and curvature gives a nose character.  Nostril repositioning is also difficult to accomplish.  When the tip position is changed, the orientation of the nostrils may improve however.

Again, nice job with your computer generation and good luck in your quest for information.   Find a surgeon who is experienced and passionate about rhinoplasty!

For examples of Rhinoplasty Tip Augmentation cases I have performed, please click the link below.

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can these rhinoplasty changes make you happy?

+2

Though you did not include a frontal face photo, nor do I have the ability to assess your facial animation and its effect on your nose's appearance, I am concerned that you describe your face as ugly. I have often told patients that "fixing your nose," for example, will not make you handsome, it just gives you a different nose on the very same face. Another example of this is the old plastic surgical joke/truism: "What do you get when you do a facelift on a cow?" Answer: "A cow with tight skin." Changing your nose will change your nose, not your perception of handsomeness, or an innate feeling of poor self-esteem (even though you have obviously invested a considerable amount of effort and evaluation in your nose as the focus of your discontent).

My concern is one borne of many patient evaluations over many years. You can always obtain some surgical changes in your nose. Talk with a qualified facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon about what bothers you concerning your nasal appearance. Then, listen to your doctor's suggestions, and have realistic expectations about what can and cannot be done. Expect improvements, not "correction." Expect some areas of incomplete satisfaction, and if you can live with "better," then you may be a candidate for rhinoplasty surgery. If you cannot live with anything other than "the perfect nose" I don't think any surgeon anywhere will be able to reach your ideals. There is a reason no other surgeon so far has tackled this question--any experienced rhinoplasty surgeon has these concerns, and it's hard to be honest when you have to say "no" or "I don't think I can meet your [unrealistic] expectations."

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Changing Tip Rotation and Contour

+1

The changes you request can be achieved, but your face is not "ugly". See an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon. Good luck!

Lengthening the short projected nose.

+1

Yes this is possible to lengthen the short projected nose and change the angle. See an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon who can show you noses like yours that he has done,

Changing rotation of nasal tip and nostrils

+1

Adjusting the rotation of the tip could be achieved with septal extension grafts. and nostril reduction is possible but achieving exact degree of correction may be more difficult as nostrils tend to change with facial expressions such as smiling.

Tip Rhinoplasty

+1

Without the frontal and oblique photographs it is difficult to give you specific advice relative to your nostril width and position.  It appears that the changes in nasal length and tip position are reasonable with cartilage grafts. I would recommend consultation with 2-3 Board Certified Plastic Surgeons who can morph pictures of your nose and give you an idea of what is possible.

Daniel Reichner, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

See a Plastic Surgeon

+1

It's clear that you have given a great deal of thought to your nasal appearance. Unfortunately I don't have enough of your photographs to give you a good answer. My suggestion is that you go to see a good plastic surgeon, but it sounds as though your requests can be met.

George Sanders, MD

+1

Thanks for the question and photos, but an in person evaluation is really needed to address these issues. From MIAMI DR. Darryl j. Blinski