What kind of nose surgery do I need? Do I need it? (photo)

Hi, I think I may have a deviated septum. I have a stuffed up nose year round, and am always clearing my throat and feel like I don't get much air through my nostrils. One of my nostrils is higher up than the other and there's a curve on one side of my nose- my nose isn't symmetrical at all. I'm extremely self conscious about this and have never seen a doctor about it, but I'm thinking about it. What kind of surgery could I be looking at, and what about cost?

Nose surgery to improve breathing

+1
Dear Haylayyeah,

• A surgery to fix both the breathing problems, as well as the look, of the nose would work best for you
  • We can make the nose appear more straight, as well as reinforce the nostrils (both of which will help you breathe better)
  • It sounds like you are ready, and you should have an in depth consultation to go over what can be expected to result from surgery
  • If you have any allergies causing your breathing problems, then can be help a little with surgery, but you may need to use medicated sprays as needed if you continue to have issues
  • When you are ready, visit a rhinoplasty specialist who can answer all of your questions and address your concerns

Best regards,
Nima Shemirani

Septorhinoplasty Candidate

+1
Dear Haylayyeah, From the description and review of the above photographs you would be a good septorhinoplasty candidate. A septorhinoplasty is a combination of two procedures the first portion the "septo" portion addresses the breathing concerns you have and the "rhinoplasty" portion addresses the aesthetic concerns. With consultation and direct examination to review any septal deviations then a surgical plan would be proposed. It is important in all nasal surgery that the nose is both functional and aesthetically pleasing. In most straight rhinoplasty procedures I address function to ensure the patient has good breathing after surgery. See a surgeon for consultation who is an expert in both fields and you will be an excellent candidate and should expect nice results in the hands of a skilled surgeon. It is life changing for patients to have full function of their nose after surgery. In my athlete patients to the mom next door breathing well improves sleep and well being. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD