I have a bump in the middle and my nose gets wide when I smile. Am I candidate for a Rhinoplasty? (photos)

i hate the bump in the middle and how wide it gets when i smile

Is a rhinoplasty appropriate for hump removal

+1
You do have excessive projection of your nose from your face and this could be improved as well as the bump removed with reduction of the bony and cartilaginous dorsum of your nose.  Your nose is wide and requires bony in-fracturing.  Your nasal tip is large and tip modification and refinement could be done through an open rhinoplasty approach.  If you have any breathing  issues then these could be addressed at the same time and insurance coverage might offset your costs.  We often find that people have deviated nasal septums, bony spurs and enlarged turbinates that create problems but have been present so long that patients have adjusted to the problems they cause.

Boise Plastic Surgeon

Nasal hump and smiling

+1
The hump in the middle nose can get worst on smiling from bunching of skin in the area. It can be corrected easily with conservative hump reduction. Also notice that the nostrils get wide on smiling. If that bothers you then get them reduced at the same time with alarplasty
Regards
Dr J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

You Appear to be an Excellent Candidate for Rhinoplasty

+1
Hello gabimorgann;

I'm sure glald you included front and profile pictures with your question. While any cosmetic plastic surgeon would want to examine you in the office, it sure looks like you can be helped. When you search for a cosmetic surgeon, try to find one who is board-certifed in head and neck surgery and who performs nose surgery at least once a week and has been doing so for at least ten years. Be sure and go over all that surgeon's before and after pictures, carefully noting patients who have had the same surgery you want.

Speaking of before and after pictures: be sure and ask the surgeon if he uses Photo Imaging. Here's how it works; we photograph you as you are now. Working with a computer artist, we work up a second picture of your most likely, after-surgery appearance. Then, we have an actual after-surgery picture taken at the three month point. Often, the actual after-surgery result is better than the predicted picture.

It's the best way for you and your surgeon to stay on the same page about what you want and expect from his or her services.

Re: your nose changing shape upon smiling. Often, a facial muscle or two can be responsible for that as well as pulling the nasal tip down. Ask your surgeon for an evaluation.

Robert Kotler, M.D.

Robert Kotler, MD

Rhinoplasty Candidate

+1
Dear Gabi, Your photographs show that yes you are an excellent candidate for rhinoplasty surgery. I would suggest that you see a specialist in rhinoplasty surgery who also performs digital imaging during the consultation. This will allow you to see the proposed changes to your nose and how the changes would look with your overall facial aesthetics. Make sure while searching for a surgeon that you review your surgeons before and after photographs as well as his/her digital imaging photographs and how close the proposed results match to the actual final results. Most surgeons who are experts in the field of rhinoplasty surgery and perform a lot of procedures will have many patients in different stages of rhinoplasty recovery that should be happy to share their experience with you. You are a beautiful young lady and some simple modifications via rhinoplasty will help with the concerns you address above and provide you with a natural looking nose. Wishing you the best , Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

+1
Rhinoplasty is a very personal decision only you can make. Best to seek in person opinions from boarded surgeons in your city///

Rhinoplasty

+1
Hi Gabi
Thanks for sharing your images.

Yes you are a good candidate for a rhinoplasty. That is the easy decision.
Your next biggest challenge is finding a local surgeon who you are comfortable with.

Hopefully you will find one through the RealSelf community.

Good luck

Pouria Moradi, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

I have a bump in the middle and my nose gets wide when I smile. Am I candidate for a rhinoplasty?

+1
Looking at your photos, you appear to be a good candidate for rhinoplasty. You can expect the following after rhinoplasty surgery:

1) Reduced width of the nose
2) Removal of the nasal hump

When considering rhinoplasty, it is important to choose a skilled physician to perform your procedure. It is best to keep the following things in mind:

1) Board Certification
2) Credentials
3) A good amount of before and after photos showcasing the surgeon's work
4) Great patient testimonials

I hope this information helps, and I wish you the best of luck.  

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Rhinoplasty for hump removal

+1
The nasal  hump is composed of both bone and cartilage is shaved  down to give  a new profile. Osteotomies of the nasal bones will be required to close the open roof deformity created by the hump removal. To prevent the tip from drooping with animation, releasing the depressor septi is accomplished at the same time during the rhinoplasty procedure.

Rhinoplasty for rival hp, narrowing and refinemt of tip.

+1
Rhinoplasty for rival hp, narrowing and refinemt of tip will give u a more attractive nose. See an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon who does natural noses. 

I have a bump in the middle and my nose gets wide when I smile.

+1
Yes, you are a candidate for rhinoplasty surgery to remove the bump.  The goal of the rhinoplasty is to refine the nose to look very natural.