What Kind of Lipo for Recessive Lupus 29 Year Old Female?

I exercise religiously 5-6 times a week for 2 hours each time and I eat a good diet but cannot lose the fat I gained when I took all the steroids to control lupus. Now I've been off medication for 8 years and looking normal on blood tests. From reading all the different reviews out there I feel that smart lipo makes me less nervous because its local anesthesia... but still not really sure. Much appreciated! -Lyn (Los Angeles)

Liposuction in Patient with SLE

+1

Provided medical clearance is achieved, liposuction of any means can be performed under local, but many patients may have more than a little discomfort if a great deal of fat is removed.  It is important to have the option to convert to general anesthesia.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Liposuction Options for Recessive Lupus

+1

Thank you for your question. I would be certain to get medical clearance from your general physician first. You may have more issues with wound healing as a result of your lupus. In general in office laser liposuction procedures are the safest options.  Be certain to be under the supervision of a board certified plastic surgeon with expertise in body contouring for the best and safest results.  I hope this helps.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction in patient with quiescent lupus

+1

You seem to be assuming that smarlipo is better because it can be done under local anesthesia and other types of liposuction cannot. That is not the case as regular, vibratory (tickle) liposuction, radiofrequency assisted liposuction etc can also be performed under local anesthesia. Awake cosmetic surgery is not in and of itself safer than cosmetic surgery under general anesthesia. If fact its use by surgeons is mostly used for marketing reasons to attract patients at a more competitive price. Just think about all the surgery that takes place in hospitals around the country and the percentage of these patients that have a problem solely due to the anesthesia. It is a very small percentage.

The fact that you have lupus in control without medications does not change that. The best type of anesthesia employed at surgery is dependent on what is specifically done to the patient, the patient's medical condition and the surgeon's/anesthesiologist's experience. I have done liposuction under local only, under spinal anesthesia and under general anesthesia depending on the patient's condition, what areas were treated and how much fat was removed. If you have undiscovered lupus affecting specific organs or organ systems liposuction under local anesthesia could be just as dangerous as that under general anesthesia. The most important thing you need is a general medical clearance before any cosmetic surgery followed by a surgeon who can safely deliver what you are looking for. After that you can consider methodology and cost.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Hello

+1

Every practice is different; in our practice we don’t do anything under local anesthesia. Vaser liposuction is a great procedure for Liposuction. If your doctor clears you for surgery there is no reason why you couldn’t get any surgery you wanted? As long as the surgeon takes you to the safest environment there is.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS