What Kind of Hair Restoration Surgery Would Work Best for Me? (photo)

Hi, I was wondering what type of hair suregery would work best for me ? I have had hair transplant . As you can see it never worked too well. I'm not sure if it was the right procedure or the Dr. but I'm not happy. You'll notice I'm not bald in the front that but I never really was.

Hair loss after a transplant

+1

Thanks for showing those photos.  Your pattern of loss looks like a typical genetic loss that is well treated by a hair transplant.  Strange that your first session didn't take.  Did any hair grow?  Your hair everywhere looks very fine and the can contribute to less than expected fullness after a transplant.  You just don't get the volume of hair needed when transplanting very fine hair.  If that is the case, another session may be what gets you over the hump and where you want to be.  You already have a scar in the back, so I would take another strip and do an FUG.  Technique and experience of the surgeon can effect graft survival.  An FUE would be helpful in someone who can not tolerate a scar in the back.  But, you already have one.  So, FUG would be the route I would choose, not FUE.  

Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Best Solution for Hair Restoration

+1

The best I can tell fron your photos some of the transplanted hair probably grew in.  But it looks like you are a candidate for another procedure.  In a well perfomed hair transplant 90-95% of the grafts should grow.  But this is totally dependent on the doctor and the expertise of the team. 

Jack Fisher, MD

Follicular Unit Extraction

+1

I would recommend follicular unit extraction done by an advanced surgeon, with proof of successful prior outcomes. FUE is a minimally invasive surgery and avoids the strip scar so you have the freedom to cut your hair short. It can also harvest hair from the nape of the neck in order to produce a soft, natural-looking hairline, which would suit you based on the fact that your pictures show hairline recession. Best of luck.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Best Hair Restoration

+1

Hi RIch, Thanks for your question about hair loss and for the pictures.  Without seeing your Before pictures, it is hard to assess whether or not your procedure provided you with typical results.  You don't mention how long ago you had the procedure performed.  Hair goes through various stages of growth and rest, and for a while following hair restoration you may see only the very fine hairs.  Unfortunately, the results of hair transplantation are highly variable and can depend on the experience and expertise of the surgeon performing the treatment, the number of grafts that were used and the individual response to the surgery.  If you are unhappy with your results you should talk to your plastic surgeon who performed your micro grafting  procedure to see if there is anything that can be done to improve your result.  A secondary procedure may be recommended, as it often is, because it looks from your pictures that you have enough hair that you should be able to provide an adequate donor site for additional grafting.  At our Hair Restoration Institute, we have developed a proprietary botanical oil treatment that many patients have used to supplement their micrografting procedure and have achieved excellent results. There are also vitamin supplements that can be beneficial for hair growth, as well as the over-the-counter drugstore remedies like minoxidil.   I would encourage you to seek out a board certified plastic surgeon with extensive experience in micrografting and hair restoration so that you can discuss your concerns.  I hope this helps. 

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon