What Kind of Filler/Implant Should I Get to Enhance the Shape of my Lips?

I have thin lips and I don't like the shape. Will Restylane solve the problem or do I need to get an implant? Do lip implants and fillers have the same effect?

+2

No, I have performed Lip Augmentation for over 20 years and written scientific papers on the subject.  Lip Implants, especially Alloderm lip implants, give more volume in a natural and supple manner.  Fillers like Restylane and Juvederm can give fullness to the lips but not to the same degree as implants.  Remember there's no inherent magic in fillers or lip implants rather the plastic and cosmetic surgeon, you choose, must understand and follow the proper aesthetics of facial beauty in order to achieve the proper shape and proportion of naturally, full, beautiful lips.

Juvederm or Restylane are best for lip enhancement

+2

Juvederm or Restylane are the best options for enhancing lips. They are used to replace lost volume, define the vermilion borders and create a more youthful curl, elevate and lift the corners of the mouth, and correct vertical wrinkle lines. They can restore the natural contour of the upper and lower lip and enhance the Cupid’s bow area. Lifting the corners of the mouth gives a hint of a smile and reduces the “sad or angry look” when they are down turned. Please remember, your results depend upon the skill and experience of your physician injector. Fillers have several advantages over permanent lip implants. One obvious advantage is that surgery is not required. Another is that you can get either a rapid or a gradual correction depending upon how many syringes you have injected and you can decide as you go exactly how much correction looks good. Also, as your face ages it changes over the years. Touch up treatments are constantly being modified to fit the changing face.You can follow the video link below to see me injecting my wife’s lips with Restylane!

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Fillers for the lip

+2

Augmentation of the lip with fillers like restylane juvederm or perlane is a great way to go.  More permanent products are fat and synthetic implants.

Best treatment for thin lips?

+2

There are lots of different treatments for thin lips, and each doctor often has their personal favorites.  For first time treatment, I would suggest (and I think many doctors will agree) using an HA filler such as Restylane or Juvederm. 

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Type of filler/implant for the lips

+1

Hard to say without a photo or exam. In the face it is a good idea to start with something non permanent. The soft and hard tissue of the face will change with time. We usually start out with a hyaluronic acid based filler, (i.e.; juvederm, restylane). Best to see a few experienced injectors and see what they offer.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Restylane and Juvederm to Enhance Shape of Lips

+1

Fillers like Juvederm or Restylane can certainly add volume to thin lips. Without pictures it is difficult to tell what can be accomplished with the shape of your lips. 

While Restylane can be used for lip augmentation, many individuals seem to like the results of Juvederm. Restylane has a thicker consistency and requires that the physician mold it into the right shape. Juvederm will easily diffuse into the existing contour of your lips and enhance the volume. 

It is best to use fillers as opposed to implants. Implants are permanent. And since your face changes over time, they may not look as attractive and natural at a certain point down the line. 

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip Augmentation

+1

Both will give fullness to your lips, however, there are pros and cons to both.  Fillers are temporary and need to be redone every so often.  Implants are permanent although they can be removed at a later date.   Because of the way the implants I use are shaped, it gives a very smooth appearance in your lips.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can best assist you in achieving your goals.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Fillers or implants for lip augmentation?

+1

Lip implants used to be more popular than they are now because you can easily augment lip size with an injectable filler. The filler that seems to be most easily injected is Juvederm, but Restylane works too. Depending on how MUCH enhancement you want, there are other techniques which place filler not in the lip body itself, but almost above and "under". The lip then everts on its own and for some people this is adequate for their desired appearance goal.

Fillers used in and around the lips do eventually dissipate so in time you would need a "re-do", so if you want a permanent solution, then a surgical implant could be the best choice.

Certain fillers are NOT to be used in the lips due to risk of lumps or nodules - Radiesse, Artefill and Sculptra.

Rebecca Fitzgerald, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologist

Silikon-1000 may be used by experienced physicians for natural-looking, permanent Lip Augmentation.

+1

Silikon-1000 is a permanent, off-label filler that may work particularly well for smooth, natural, permanent lip augmentation. Several treatments are typically necessary for complete correction, and treatment intervals are monthly or longer.

I've attached a link to an interview I did for RealSelf regarding silicone lip injections.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon