What Kind of Filler and Technique Do You Suggest to Create Upper Cheekbone Fullness? (photo)

I am a 50 year old woman. What kind of filler and placed how (with cannula? without?) would you recommend to create more full upper cheekbones. Thank you docs, you are wonderful!

Cheek Augmentation with Fillers

+2

Thanks for the great question. In my practice, I commonly do this with Radiesse.  This filler is calcium hydroxyapatite (a normal component of bone and tendon), and is injected with a needle. The product is placed on the bone (deep to the skin and muscle), and results in an increased prominence of the malar region ("cheek bones").  Other options include Sculptra (also injected with needles, but with multiple treatments required and possibly longer duration of effect); fat grafting can be a good option, but with some caveats. I would be happy to discuss more in person.  Best of luck!

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Creating upper cheekbone fullness

+1

This can be achieved with cheek implants inserted surgically, or with facial fillers.  I do like Radiesse to be used for an excellent, natural result in this facial area.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Filler for cheeks

+1

I almost always use Radiesse to address this type of issue.  Sculptra takes usually 3-5 treatments, and is unpredictable and very expensive.  I have included a video which explains this.  Take care, Dr. Groff

William Groff, DO
San Diego Dermatologist

High cheekbones or cheek fullness

+1

Sculptra, Radiesse, or your own fat (fat grafting) will give you the fullness in your cheeks that you are looking for.  Sculptra and Radiesse are injected with a needle, and fat is injected with a microcannula (essentially, a needle but a tiny bit thicker than those for other fillers).

Jason J. Hall, MD, FACS

How to create upper cheekbone fullness

+1

Either Sculptra or Radiesse would be ideal to restore the volume and youthful contour to your cheekbones. Deeper "stimulatory fillers" such as Sculptra or Radiesse, when strategically injected high along the cheekbones and lateral face, will create a much better lifting effect for sagging skin. This leads to the natural-looking results that are so often desired. Either a needle or a cannula would work well in these areas. 

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Hyaluronic acid filler to the cheeks- Juvaderm Ultra Plus or Perlane

+1

Thanks for your question and your photo.  You have lovely skin, and appear from your photo to look much younger than 50 years old.  I think you would benefit from Hyaluronic acid filler (either Juvaderm ultra plus or Perlane).  I would suggest concentrating on your cheeks, but also adding some volume to your nasolabial folds just where the ala (nostril) meets the cheek. 

Either cannla or needle will give you a really nice result with a refreshed look.  Please jest make sure that you seek out an experienced and well-trained injector.  Good luck!

Dara Liotta, MD

The Nonsurgical 3D Vectoring Crow's Feet Lift Is An Excellent Way To Restore Youthful Cheek Fullness

+1

In cases, such as appears here, where wrinkles are not troublesome or prominent, but there is an undesirable flattening or thinning of the upper cheek regions, I have found that the use of the Nonsurgical 3D Vectoring Crow's Feet Lift, a procedure designed for smoothing wrinkles at rest in  is also an an excellent method for improving the contour and projection in this region. As opposed to a regular nonsurgical cheek augmentation, the Nonsurgical 3D Vectoring Crow's Feet Lift imparts a more subtle accenting of the cheekbones that can be aesthetically quite pleasing.

Using the principles of vectoring with volumizing fillers (see The Nonsurgical 3D Vectoring Facelift, The 3D Vectoring Necklift, and the The 3D Vectoring Browlift for further explanation), the region over the bone within the fixed (nonmobile) area of the cheek directly in front of the ear is used as an access point to instill "strands," "strains," or threadlike amounts of the volumizer in a fan shape distribution over the mobile crow's feet (periorbital) area and extending onto the cheek. Requiring only a tiny amount of local anesthesia to numb the entry points, the procedure is relatively painless and takes only a few minutes on each side to perform. Either cannulas or long needles may be used; both have resulted in gratifying results with little in the way of resultant bruising or swelling.

As a rule, immediate rounding and greater cheek prominence is seen following the procedure. However, as with the other Nonsurgical 3D Vectoring Lifts, continued improvement is anticipated over the next six to eight weeks as new collagen (neocollagenesis) occurs in response to the presence of the injected material.

Occasionally, if the region immediately below the cheek projection requires greater fullness, a nonsurgical midface rejuvenation can be performed with the use of volumizing agents, such as Radiesse or Radiesse combined with Juvederm Ultra Plus XC (in the U.S.) and Radiesse combined with Juvederm Voluma (which will soon be available in the U.S.) or StylageXXL. 

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Fullness in upper cheeks

+1

At 50, you are developing a malar groove and you will need that filled to maintain you youthful appearance.  I have used cannulas and needles. Either way there is minimal pain and bruising.

In Canada, we use Voluma which is made by Allergan. It lasts in the cheeks for 18 moths before a touch up is required. It id a long lasting Juvederm that is a bit stiffer. It is my ideal filler for cheeks.

David A. F. Ellis, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon