What Kind of Doctor Do I See for Thinning Hair?

My hair has always been thin but now it is very noticeable. Ive been humiliated and called names. I cant live like this anymore, people are to hateful. I don't know if there is anything that can be done but I need help and I just dont know where to turn. I went to my regular doctor who coldly told me it was male pattern baldness and there was nothing could be done. Im not a male and I dont want to be treated like this is no big deal. It is on the crown of my head just like most males though.

Get Better Advice

+3

Dear Jean,

I am sorry that your regular doctor dissapointed you.  You actually have many options to attack this problem.  A competent hair loss physician can first help you discover the true cause of your hair loss (there are many besides what he is referencing), and then your options for arresting the problem and improving your appearance.  Some are medical and surgical such as the Fleming-Mayer flap mentioned by Dr Mayer, other surgical and medical options, as well as styling options.  At least you can find better support.

Dr John Frank, MD

New York

Female hair loss

+2

See a dermatologist and see if you are a candidate for treatment with spironolactone. It is a mild water pill that corrects female hair loss. This favorable "side effect" was discovered years ago. Most dermatologists know about it and offer it as an option.

T. Wayne Day, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Who treats hair loss?

+1
A dermatologist is a good starting point for individuals with hair loss. Some hair transplant surgeons offer comprehensive evaluations as well and that can also be a good starting point

But you want to find a hair specialist who can properly diagnose why you are losing hair, order the correct blood tests (yes, all women with hair loss need blood tests) and determine if you need a biopsy or not (not always necessary). 

There are many options for treating hair loss and step1 is to be 100 % clear on what your diagnosis (or diagnoses) are. Different diagnoses need different treatments 

Jeff Donovan, MD, PhD
Toronto Dermatologist

Female Hair loss

+1

A dermatologist is the specialist who deals problems related to skin, nails & hair. So, you need to see a dermatologist for proper assessment & better management.

Like males, females can also get hair loss due to many reasons, & there are many types of hair loss.

There are many treatment options to improve your problem, so no need to worry & you will be just fine.

M. Khawar Nazir, MBBS, MS(Derm)
Pakistan Dermatologist

CROWN HAIR LOS

+1

I am sorry you have been poorly treated.  There is no room for that in the medical community.  There are a number of options to pursue for a woman experiencing hair loss, ranging from medication to topicals to injections to invasive procedures.  I find that low level laser light therapy has been effective, especially in woman.  Results can be visible beginning in six months.  Finally, follicular unit extraction (FUE) transplantation can be used to permanently implant hair into thinning or balding areas. I utilize the NeoGraft© Automated FUE (follicular unit extraction) Hair Transplant System for hair restoration because it is among the most advanced method of non-surgical hair transplantation.  It is the least invasive procedure of its kind, requiring no scalpel incision and no sutures.  

Jeffrey B. Wise, MD, FACS
Wayne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hairloss in the crown.

+1

Hairloss in the crown can be treated with either hair transplants or with a Fleming-Mayer Flap. Both have their advantages and disadvantages and you should see a surgeon who has experience with both of these procedures.