What Kind of Chemical Peel Should I Get for my Skin? I Have Really Oily Skin with Black Spots on my Cheeks?

Chemical peel of dark spot

+1

Most chemical peels (salicylic, glycolic, Jessners, Vi, etc) will help with dark spots.  First, however, it would be important to determine why you have dark spots?  Are they from acne or another problem?  You may need to address this first before getting a peel.  Get evaluated by a board-certified dermatologist.

Chemical Peel and Oily Skin

+1

Thank you for your question. You should have your skin evaluated by a Board Certified Dermatologist and then determine what products you will need, and which will be effective for what you want to do. There are a variety of peels to choose from that may help your pigmentation in conjunction with home care with sunblock, hydroquinone containing products, and retinoids. I hope this helps.

Sonia Badreshia-Bansal, MD
Bay Area Dermatologist

Peels for oily skin and hyper pigmentation

+1

You would likely benefit from a variety of chemical peels including glycolic, trichloroacetic, salicylic acid, and retinoic acid, or a combination of these chemicals. Best to speak with your dermatologist about the best peel for your skintype.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Chemical peel for oily skin with black spots

+1

You would probably benefit from almost any of the common chemical peels (i.e. salicylic acid, glycolic acid, Jessner's, TCA).  The choice of which peel would be best will depend on how much downtime you are willing to have, how often you are willing to return for a peel, and your skin tone and the cause of your brown spots.  Darker skin tones have an increased risk of discoloration with deeper peels.  Some dark spots are very close to the surface and easy to remove with light peels; whereas, some are deep and more stubborn.  Your doctor should be able to go over the options with you in detail upon evaluating your skin at a consultation.

Lawrence Osman, M.D.

Lawrence A. Osman, MD
Woodland Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Chemical Peel For Oily Skin and Blackheads

+1
Alpha and beta hydroxyacid chemical peels give the skin a smoother appearance within 1 to 3 treatments. Your doctor can use up to 30% concentration, with salicylic acid being the preferred beta hydroxyacid (better for pores that are clogged as in blackheads and whiteheads), whereas alphahydroxyacids are better used on thickened and sundamaged skin where breakouts are less a problem. Both alpha and beta hydroxyacids even out pigmentaion irregularities. Light TCA chemical peels (including Obagi Blue Peels) use trichloroacetic acid to more aggressively erase wrinkles and tighten the skin, minimize enlarged pores, and even pigmentation. As TCA is more aggressive in nature, recovery time is increased. As you can see, there are many chemical peel options available. For your skin type, I would suggest the beta hydroxyacid chemical peel. 

Daniel Shapiro, MD