What Kind of Care is Needed After Radiesse?

My wife is getting Radiesse treatments next week, and I am concerned about her aftercare. What is the recovery process like? How can I best care for her after the procedure?

Aftercare following Radiesse

+2

Greetings~

It is very thoughtful of you to take such an interest in your wife's procedure and care but thankfully there's nothing much to do after the procedure.  The procedure consists, quite simply, of a series of injections. Prior to the procedure, to minimize bruising, she could consider stopping any ibuprofen or NSAIDs, aspirin, or vitamin E. As far as aftercare is concerned, the main thing for the first 24 hours is ice to minimize swelling. She should also refrain from strenuous exercise for the first 24 hours following treatment as well to minimize further swelling and not worsen any potential bruising. I'm sure your wife will do great and it will be quite uneventful. 

Good luck~

Dr. Grant Stevens

+1

I use quite a bit of Radiesse and Perlane for facial shaping and contouring.  For women, I prefer Perlane which IMO has less bruising, swelling and lumpiness than Radiesse.  Radiesse is a great product nonetheless and has minor lumpiness, bruising and swelling that typically lasts several days.  IMHO if you have about a week before something important Radiesse is ok otherwise "Perlane today to be red carpet ready tonight" has been our motto.  There's no inherent magic in any of these fillers so the MD must understand and follow the proper aesthetics of facial beauty for the creation of a naturally, more attractive face. 

Radiesse and type of care needed afterwards

+1

After Radiesse injections, patients may have swelling, bruising, and redness.  Other side effects are less common.  Typical care would include use of ice packs every few hours for the first 24-48 hours, avoidance of blood thinners such as aspirin, motrin, ibuprofren, and naproxen, unless instructed to continue by your primary care physician, avoidance of vitamin E, fish oil, omega-3 fatty acids, and alcohol (which also thin the blood).  Also, make-up application should be avoided the first 24 hours to prevent contamination of injection sites with bacteria present on make-up brushes and in the make-up. The skin should be cleansed gently as well with a mild cleanser.  Sun protection is advised if the patient plans to go out in to the sun.

Kristel D. Polder, MD
Dallas Dermatologic Surgeon

Care After Radiesse Injections

+1

Other than some ice or cold compreses to the area injected for a few hours after the injection, there is really no care necessary after the injection.  We recommend arnica supplements to all of our paitents.  These are to be started before the injection and continued after the injection.  Also, stop taking any aspirin-type products for 1 week before the injection.

Gary D. Breslow, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Home Care after Radiesse Injections

+1

Radiesse has given physicians and patients a new dimension in facial contouring by revolumizing the aging face through a minimally invasive approach. Radiesse injections are well-tolerated by patients. They have a low incidence of side effects and result in high patient satisfaction. Icing the area for several hours after treatment will usually help to reduce the swelling and discomfort. I instruct patients not to massage the area. Heavy exercise should be avoided for that day. Sun protection is important for at least several weeks following treatment. Bromelain tablets can be taken after the treatment for their anti-bruising and anti-swelling effects. 

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

What kind of care is needed after Radiesse

+1

Icing the area for 10 minutes every 2-3 hours while awake the first 2 days is helpful.  I would limit physical exertion for the first two days as well. 

What is important is the preparation beforehand.  Unless prescribed by a physician, I ask patients to avoid any blood thinners, such as aspirin, other non-tylenol pain medications, vitamin E, fish oil, gingko biloba, for 10 days before injections.  That decreases the risk of bruising.

Making sure that the injections are performed by a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon with proper training and experience in doing Radiesse injections.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Aftercare with Radiesse is Simple

+1

Radiesse doesn't require a great deal of aftercare other than application of ice for several hours.  However, as Dr. Aldea pointed out, the "pre-care" is more important.  Choosing a qualified Facial plastic Surgeon, Plastic Surgeon, or Dermatologist is the best way to achieve great results.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse Aftercare

+1

If you have some bruising or swelling after Radiesse injections, ice will be helpful.  Otherwise there is no specific care needed!

Sheri G. Feldman, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist

Radiesse

+1

Immediatley after injection I apply ice. If you want, starting Arnica before and after may help . Otherwise ther is no real after care needed. The most important thing is to be sure you are going to a qualified doctor

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

+1

As long as her treatment is done by a Plastic surgeon / qualified Dermatologist there is no real reason why you should be worried. Such professionals will know where the Radiesse can be placed and where it should not be placed and will do the job well. The procedure is a lunch time procedure with no real "after care".

Peter A Aldea, MD