What Kind of Breast Lift (With Implants) Carries the Lowest Risk of Nipple Sensation Loss?

I almost certainly need a breast lift with implants after losing about 115lbs, however, I'm TERRIFIED of losing sensation. I rather enjoy having it, if you know what I mean. ;) .... And to me, what is the point of having perfect breasts that do not -work- ? I'm only mildly worried about scarring, that's not the major issue here. So what incision styles (crescent, benelli, anchor, etc) carry the lowest risk of sensation loss? Am I correct in assuming that fewer cuts would be less risky?

Nipple sensation

+1
All breast lift require some relocation of the nipple areolar complex. All lift cannot be performed on every breast as they each have limitations. Loss of nipple sensation rarely occurs on any lift that is not a accompanied by a significant breast reduction. Therefore I suggest youy get the lift that would provide the best result based on your goals if they are realistic.

Breast lift techniques and nipple sensation.

+1

The sensation to the nipple comes from nerve fibers running over the pectoralis then extending upwards into the breast. Anatomy varies from person to person, but in general a lift which preserves the central breast mound is most likely to preserve sensation. However, as with any surgical breast procedure, nipple sensation loss is a possible complication and if this is an unacceptable risk, then avoiding surgery is a better option.

Web reference: http://www.drbogue.com

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

+1

If it is only a breast lift that you need and not a reduction mammoplasty, the best method to preserve nipple sensation is what we call a "central pedical flap." This techniques keeps the nipple attached to the underlying breast tissue and nerve supply and only the surrounding skin is dissected and resected. I have never seen nipple sensation loss with this technique after using it for several decades. However, you are limited in how far you can lift the nipple-areolar complex. On the other hand, this is virtually the only technique that I use, so with rare exceptions, it can be used in most cases.

With any breast surgery, even a breast augmentation, there can be some initial sensation changes, so do not let the first few weeks scare you into thinking it is permanent.

Good luck with your procedure. Excellent question.

Savannah Plastic Surgeon

Nipple sensory loss after breast lifts

+1

I can only say what is in the literature for breast reductions. The one that provides the best sensation and ability to breast feed is considered the inferior pedicle technique,. However a lift often requires less dissection of tissues, so it depends upon a number of factors.

Breast Reduction and Nipple sensation

+1

Hi

Your concerns and very valid and relevant, the trouble is that it is very difficult to predict what technique results in the most nipple sensory change.

One thing is for sure it is the glandular pedicle used that governs the likely postoperative nipple sensation and not the skin incisions used. Here is a short abstract of a paper that may help shed some light on your concerns:

Schlenz, et al, Alteration of Nipple and Areola Sensitivity by reduction Mammaplasty: A Prospective Comparison of five techniques, 115(3) PRS Journal March 2005 p. 743- 754.
• Alteration of NAC sensitivity not shown to be related to the weight of reduction but to the type of surgical technique; the anatomical location of glandular resection predicts the risk of post-op reduction of NAC sensitivity. Superior pedicle techniqes, ie resection of inferior pole, were shown to have a higher rate of altered NAC sensitivity.

I hope this helps and good luck

Pouria

Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Loss of Nipple Sensation

+1

First of all, not every patient who thinks they need a lift really needs one, so photos would be a big help to answer this question. Also, the type of lift that might work best for you cannot be determined without seeing what your anatomy is. That aside, I tell all my patients the risk of loss of sensation seems to be about the same with either an augment or a lift and that is in the 10% range for some degree of numbness. I also tell them that if the risk is unacceptable, they should avoid the surgery.

Nipple Sensation Loss #breastimplants

+1

Technically speaking the central mound technique would carry the least risk of numbness to the nipples. Being that said, they all are pretty close with the potential for numbness. Most of the time numbness is temporary and will resolve with time. It can take several months. There is commonly tissue swelling around the nerve that can cause this or even stretch on the nerve can lead to temporary numbness. Permanent numbness is rare and would require the surgeon to cut the nerve most likely. It is a valid concern, but for the most part patients do very well with no permanent issues.

Possible Loss of Nipple Sensation with Breast Augmentation/Lift

+1

What I usually tell my patients is that there is always a chance of changes in nipple sensation when performing breast surgery. It does not depend on the type of implant but rather the surgery itself. The nerves that innervate the nipple can be stretched or even cut, depending on the procedure you have done. Usually the changes are temporary, but they can be permanent at times. I recommend you weigh the risks and benefits of improving the look and feel of your breasts vs. nipple sensation changes and decide which is more important to you.

Web reference: http://www.doctornir.com

Loss of Sensation After Breast Lifting?

+1

Thank you for the question and congratulations on your significant weight loss!

Loss of sensation after breast surgery is more likely related to “injury” to the nerves supplying the nipple/areola complexes and breast skin, as opposed to the specific type of breast lift performed. In other words, the skin incisions  play much less of a role than the nerve supply to the breast.

Given your degree of weight loss, it is very likely that you will benefit from breast lifting surgery. However, be careful about  achieving realistic expectations;  you mentioned “perfect breasts",  which are rarely if ever achieved…

My best advice would be to do your due diligence carefully in selection of plastic surgeon, ask to see lots of examples of their work, communicate your goals carefully, and consider the pros/cons/risks/complications carefully before deciding to proceed with surgery.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_breastLiftAug.htm

+1

While I do perform hundreds of breast lists each year, loss of sensitivity or impairment of sensitivity is rarely encountered.  This is usually temporary when it infrequently occurs.  The primary determinant for this is the manner in which the breast lift is performed by the plastic surgeon and not the number of incisions.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com/breast-augmentation-photo-galleries.php