What Kind of Anesthia is Used for Breast Augmentation? General or Local?

Understanding anesthesia options for breast augmentation

+2

People are sometimes more afraid of the anesthesia than the surgery, but if done by a qualified provider in an accredited facility you should feel very comfortable. General anesthesia, in which the patient is completely asleep, is very common. When local anesthesia is used, intravenous sedation is typically given. Local anesthesia alone is a fairly dicey proposition in my opinion but it has been offered by some non-plastic surgeons.

Twilight anesthesia is ideal for breast augmentation surgery

+2

A breast augmentation can be efficiently done under IV sedation monitored by an anesthesia provider. This 'twilight anesthetic' technique has many advantages. Recovery from this type of anesthesia is quick. I don't think that breast augmentation should be done under purely local anesthesia. There are certainly some providers out there that do breast augs under local, but I can't imagine the procedure is very pleasant for patient or surgeon. I think General Anesthesia is a bit excessive for a 50 minute outpatient procedure, but some patients choose GA for their augmentations and do just fine.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Breast augmentation surgery is performed under general anaesthesia

+1

Breast augmentation surgery is most commonly performed under a general anaesthetic as a day-only procedures. Some of my colleagues perform breast augmentation under sedation with local anaesthesia - the idea being that the patient recovers from the anaesthetic faster. I don't know of any plastic surgeons who perform local anaesthetic only BA.

Damian Marucci, MBBS, FRACS
Australia Plastic Surgeon

General or local anesthesia for breast implant augmentation

+1

In most cases, I prefer to use general anesthesia. I have done the procedure under local with IV sedation but the patients tend to experience more discomfort during the procedure. This is especially true if larger implants are placed under the muscle.

General or Local Anesthesia for Breast Augmentation

+1

I prefer to perform Breast Augmentations with the patient being under general anesthesia.  I only work with a certified anesthesiologist. My choice to do it this way is for the comfort of the patient as well as the surgeon.  I think you will find it easier to be under general .  By the time you wake up it will feel like you were never asleep and it will make your experience so much nicer.  Good Luck!

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Anesthesia for Breast Augmentation

+1

Either general or local with sedation work well. Both are equally as safe. I prefer general since you feel absolutely nothing, and recovery is significantly faster because you do not have to metabolize the sedative drugs. When combined with the proper surgical technique, you are back to normal activities in 24-48 hours.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

General or Local Anesthesia Can Be Used for Augmentation

+1

Breast augmentations can be performed under either general or local anesthesia, although when performed under local sedation is usually required as well.  At this point in time I use general anesthesia unless the patient opts for local/sedation.  Several years ago I used local/sedation for most patients, since at that time there was a cost savings for patients.

John Whitt, MD

Breast augmentation and anesthesia

+1

I want my patients to be comfortable and so that I can perform my best work knowing that they are not in pain. I find it best under general anesthesia.

+1

Most board certified plastic surgeons (over 80 %) use a type of general anesthesia. This is not to say that IV sedation or local can not be used. But with over hundreds of thousands augmentations done the "Gold Standard" is a form of general. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl J. Blinski, 305 598 0091

Anesthesia for Breast Augmentation

+1

Breast augmentation can be done under general anesthesia or sedational anesthesia.  Local anesthesia would probably not be tolerated especially if going under the muscle.   The most important  factor would be to do the procedure with either method of anesthesia in a certified facility or hospital with a certified anesthesia provider experienced in these techniques with a board-certified plastic surgeon. 

Stephen Delia, MD