What Kind of Aesthetic Problems Can Occour Long Term After Fat Grafting?

I'm considering a fat transfer under my eyes but before I undergo any surgery, I would like to consider the possible dangers of this procedure. So what are the long term side effects of fat grafting (what kind of aesthetic problems can occour and why)? How much change in my bodyweight will be visible under my eyes? Thank you, Pedro

+2

Don't, would be my advice.  Fat transfer has the issues of clumping and dissolving unevenly especially in the thin lower eyelid skin.  Your body weight however would be unaffected.

Save yourself and avoid having fat placed in the lower eyelid.

+1

Fat in the lower face and cheek, even the forehead is brilliant.  However, the lower eyelids lack enough tissue coverage to adequately hide the grafted fat.  For this reason fat can form visible lumps and bumps in the skin contour.  It is very difficult to address these without performing more surgery.  The safest course is to avoid this treatment for your lower eyelids.

Problems after Fat Graft below Eyelids

+1

While the long-term results of fat grafts tend to be good in the face and body, the eyelid area is not as forgiving and it should be done with caution. If the fat becomes lumpy, hard, firm or visible, it is very difficult (if not impossible) to fix. Make sure your surgeon is familiar with this technique and can tell you what to expect.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Fat Transfer under the eyes

+1

It depends on what you mean by under the eyes. If you are referring to the lower eyelid itself I would advise against that. The lower eyelid skin is very thin and it would be easy to see contour irregularities and lumps. If you are referring to the cheek region below the eyelid fat transfer can have a magnificent effect if done properly. Placing fat along the malar eminence and building it out over the zygoma (cheek bone beside the eye) and carrying it down to the nasolabial fold can have a very natural, rejuvinating effect. Fat transfer in the face does not cause a change in body weight.

Todd C. Miller, MD