What Kind of Abdominoplasty Could Work for Me? (photo)

Had twins, now my belly looks like shown. Considering ‘having it fixed’/improved. Not so much concerned about belly’s flatness (or lack thereof), it’s more the extra and torn skin I’d like to get rid of! Is it possible to fix this? Would that be a full TT, or mini? I keep reading a mini TT doesn’t do much/doesn’t take out enough skin, on the other hand I’ve seen those hip2hip scars from full TTs that .. aren’t overly pretty either. I do have a C-sec scar though, could the surgeon work w this?

Mini Tummy Tuck vs. Full Tummy Tuck after Pregnancy

+1

The problem with the 'Mini Tummy Tuck' is that it means different things to different people. I prefer to use the term 'Modified Tummy Tuck' which frequently is anything but 'mini'. In a modified TT the scar is typically shorter  than in a full TT. The skin excision is also less. However, I will frequently tighten the muscles just the same as when a full TT is performed. Even though the excess, damaged skin is the main issue, you would benefit from tightening of the muscles as well. Looking at your photos you would best benefit from a full TT rather than a limited one. Best of Luck Dr Harrell

What Kind of Abdominoplasty Could Work for Me?

+1

The issue with a mini tummy tuck is that people think the incisions are mini, but they are not. The mini refers to the fact that no work will be done above the belly button. Only skin and muscle below the belly button will be tended to. What that means is that and loose skin or muscle separation above the belly button remains in a mini tummy tuck. As to the length of the scar on a mini, or a full tummy tuck for that matter, it depends on how much loose skin you have, the more loose skin, the longer the incision is in order to remove it. Therefore, even a mini tummy tuck can have long hip to hip incisions.  You could get away with a mini if you are willing to accept some little bit of loose skin above your belly button.

Julio Garcia, MD

Tummy tuck after twins

+1

Given the degree of muscle laxity and sikn excess both below and above teh bellly button, only a full tummy tuck will satisfy. The scar can be kept low at the current C-section level.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com

What Kind of Tummy Tuck For Me?

+1

Dear KateAUS,  As a father of twins, I wish to welcome you to the club!  Thanks for the photos since they really do tell the story of your worries.  Because of all of the stretching your skin and soft tissues experienced with your pregnancy, most plastic surgeons would recommend a full tummy tuck to achieve the result you are looking for.  This would repair the muscles that have been displaced from the pregnancy and then remove the excess, loose skin and fat.  While the incision is longer than a C-section, it still can be hidden under most clothing, swimsuits, and undergarments.  Think of it this way, you are making a trade.  You are getting rid of something that is very hard to hide under most clothing and swimwear for an incision that can be covered and will fade as it heals.  Please discuss your concerns with a board-certified plastic surgeon who can better advise you on  your options.

Good luck with the twins and enjoy them.  Hope this helps.

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Candidate?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Congratulations on your successful twin pregnancy. 

I think you will benefit from a full tummy tuck procedure. Your C-section scar can be extended  to perform the procedure. Most patients who have had twin pregnancies to have significant spreading of the rectus muscles that benefit from plication ('repair").  You are correct in that the mini tummy tuck would not be sufficient.

As you mention, the downside of this operation is the scar.  most patients are willing to accept the scar ( hidden in undergarments and swimming suit)  in exchange for improvement of contour and riddance of the excess skin etc. The appearance of the umbilicus is also important since it is the only scar that will be visible when you are in a swimming suit...

Given your body type,  the position of the C-section scar (low)  and current position of umbilicus, it  is possible that a short vertical scar will also be necessary.  This scar will be the remnant of the current site of the umbilicus when it is brought down inferiorly.

I would suggest in-person consultation with well experienced board certified plastic surgeons.  Make sure you see lots of examples of his/her work.