I've Had 2 Kids and a Hysterectomy, and I'm 26. I'm Not Sure if I Should Do Lipo or Tummy Tuck?

I have skin that hangs over and not a whole lot of strech marks. But I have a long scar from my belly button to about the pubic bone.

When a tummy tuck is better than liposuction

+1

From what you describe (2 children, hanging skin and a vertical scar), a tummy tuck would be the way to go. Feel free to post a picture (front and side views) but really, the next step would be to get a consultation with a Board Certified plastic surgeon.

Tummy Tuck vs. Lipo alone

+1

Based on what you describe, I would likely recommend a tummy tuck.  A tummy tuck (also called abdominoplasty) is a very popular cosmetic surgery procedure for moms. A tummy tuck can be an effective tool for shaping and sculpting the body for better body appearance and improved self esteem.

Sometimes no amount of diet and exercise can create a flat tummy. Tummy tuck plastic surgery actually tightens abdominal muscles and removes excess fat and skin from the stomach area to create a tighter, slimmer, smoother belly. A tummy tuck can be combined with other procedures such as liposuction of your waists or flanks (i.e. love handles) to fine tune your result

Patients choose abdominoplasty cosmetic surgery for a number of reasons, including:

Excess abdominal skin following weight loss Weight gain (beer belly or spare tire) from a sedentary lifestyle Abdominal fat that is resistant to diet and exercise Stretched stomach muscles from pregnancy Desire for a thinner profile Desire to look younger and fitter Desire to fit into clothes better

I recommend you visit with an ASPS member plastic surgeon to further explore your options and to find out if you are a candidate for this procedure

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck or Liposuction

+1

If you have stretch marks, extra skin and vertical scar below your umbilicus then a tummy tuck would be better than liposuction.  Your abdominal muscles and skin have been stretched by your pregnancies and will not be resilient enough to shrink back after liposuction.  Seek consultation with a couple of board certified plastic surgeons.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Liposuction vs Abdominoplasty

+1
Liposuction removes extra fat but does not remove any excess skin from the abdomen. To do this, a tummy tuck is required. With "skin that hangs over," the procedure you need is an abdominoplasty. As a bonus, most or all of the vertical scar will also be removed.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and Tummy Tucks are not the same

+1

In general, tummy tucks are best for removing excess skin while liposuction is best for removing excess fat under the skin.

It is true that liposuction will tighten the skin, but the best results are when the overlying skin is tight. Once you have loose or hanging skin, a tummy tuck (with or without liposuction) will give you the best results.

Lawrence Iteld, MD

Liposuction Does Not Address Excess Abdominal Skin

+1

Although you can (in some patients) get some redraping of their skin after liposuction (if they have very elastic skin), Lipo is not the way to treat excess skin.  An abdominoplasty or TT is needed for this and, if you have as much excess skin as it seems, then the lower midline abdominal scar you mentioned would likely be removed  entirely.

John Whitt, MD

+1

Wow many responses but I find you did not post a photo so I can not advise in any manner. But your posts leads me to feel you need a full tummy tuck. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl j. Blinski

Tummy tuck is a definite for excess skin

+1

Balancing between tummy tuck and liposuction can be difficult for some, and liposuction may result in modest skin shrinkage. Skin excess and a fold over your lower abdomen definitely puts you into the group that benefits most from tummy tuck. You will lose the lower, up and down scar and have a low transverse on that is more easily concealed, and a flat smooth stomach as well.

peterejohnsonmd

Liposuction Vs. Tummy Tuck

+1

Only a tummy tuck will remove the excess skin. While liposuction is great from removing disproportionate fat, redundant skin looks worse when it looses the support of the extra "stuffing". A tummy tuck can tighten the abdominal wall muscles, remove excess fat, remove excess skin and the stretch marks and scars contained in that skin.

A definitive answer can only be obtained with a consultation. Be certain to see a qualified board certified plastic surgeon in your area.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

+1

Based on your description (since a photo is not available) a tummy tuck is probably the right choice.  It will help eliminate most of your stretch marks.

Shahin Javaheri, MD