Can I Have Kids After a Tummy Tuck?

I had gastric bypass at a very young age and am now wanting to get a tummy tuck to deal with the extra skin. I, however, do not know if I will want children in the future. I know if I do have children it will not be for years, is a tummy tuck going to cause any problems with this?

Timing of TT and pregnancy

+1

Yes, women can be pregnant and carry a child to term after having a tummy tuck. While having a tummy tuck bears no risk to the pregnancy or birth of your child, pregnancy can be very hard on your abdominal wall if you've had a tummy tuck. It would be very likely that you would need to have it redone.

Childbearing after abdominoplasty

+1

Tummy tucks do not prevent you from having future children, but you may need a secondary abdominoplasty after childbirth.

Donna Rich, MD

Can I Have Kids After a Tummy Tuck?Answer:

+1

Yes you can have a baby after a TT and while its true that most of the time we advise to wait until after kids, in your situation with the weight loss and possible kids in the distant future, I think you should! You kind of want to enjoy your result now! But for someone in a relationship and planning on kids in the next year or two, then generally wait.

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Wait to have Tummy Tuck until after you are finished having children

+1

A Tummy Tuck or Abdominoplasty after Gastric By Pass and weight loss is a significant surgical procedure which requires a significant investment in time and money. It would be a shame to have to go through it twice

Pregnancy undoubtedly will stretch the abdominal skin further and require a second revisional Tummy Tuck if you have Tummy Tuck done before your pregnancy.

You will have a better ultimate result is you wait, as the Plastic Surgeon can then remove and modify all of the skin that has been stretched by weight gain and subsequent pregnancy.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Considerations regarding weight loss, a tummy tuck and potential future pregnancy

+1

Given your scenario of considerable weight loss following a gastric bypass and now left with excess skin, pursuing a tummy tuck or lower body lift is quite reasonable. Such a procedure would not impact any potential future pregnancy though you may require some re-tightening after the pregnancy. So go for it and look and feel better.

If you were planning to have a child in the near future, I would recommend waiting to have the surgery but such is not the case.

Seek out one or more reputable board certified plastic surgeons. Good luck!

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Tummy Tuck prior to kids

+1

wait...wait until you're done with kiddo's.  You'll never regret it.  A revised abdominplasty doesn't look very good for the most part so don't put yourself in that situation.

I've had several patients ask me about this and we come to the same conclusion every time.  Wait until you have kids.  This surgery will cost you thousands and you want it done properly 

Ricardo A. Meade, MD

Can I have kids after a tummy tuck?

+1

It is always advisable to complete your pregnancies before having a tummy tuck. But I realize that this is not always possible,i.e., if you are young and have lost a lot of weight which has resulted in a lot of excess skin in the abdomen. In that situation you can have a tummy tuck and get pregnant, but the pregnancy may undo some of the gains of the tummy tuck. In short, a tummy tuck does not bar you from becoming pregnant.

George Lefkovits, MD

Have Kids after Tummy Tuck?

+1

Generally, if you are considering abdominoplasty surgery, it would be in your best interest to have it done after you are done having children.  However,   since you are a few years away from having children,  I can understand your desire to undergo the procedure after the gastric bypass ( and subsequent weight loss).  

You can certainly have a normal pregnancy after tummy tuck surgery. I am sure you are aware that the  anatomic changes associated with pregnancy  may necessitate further surgery in the future.

When the time is right  please make sure you consult with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.