More Kids After a Mommy Makeover?

I was told I need a slight lift for my augmentation and the best option is to use a teardrop implant over the muscle but I’ve heard bad things about the teardrop and over the muscle. I was also told I have Abdominal Separation/Diastasis Recti and was considering getting a mini tummy tuck but didn’t want a large scar.

I have three kids and I’m considering of having one more, should I wait until I finish having kids before this procedure? I’m 35 and 145 pounds. What is your opinion? Regards.

Have Mommy Makeover Only After Finished with Pregnancies

+5

Thank you for your question. By all means wait until you are done having children before having a Mommy makeover. A subsequent pregnancy will ruin your results.

A Diastasis Recti Repair requires a Full Abdominoplasty or Tummy Tuck

Mommy makeover after you are done having kids

+2

Yes, I think you should wait until you are all done having kids before option for a mommy makeover.  As my colleagues have stated, a future pregnancy could change your body and potentially diminish the results from cosmetic procedures.  Once you are all done with kids - you'll get the maximal benefits from your mommy makeover procedures.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Pregnancy after a Mommy Makeover.

+2

I would advise you to consider waiting until after you are finished having your children to undergo an abdominal procedure. That being said, it is certainly possible to have the procedure now as it will not affect a future pregnancy. I have had several women who have had Tummy Tucks done with the idea that they were finished having children only a few years later they decided to change their minds. The pregnancies were not affected and in general they looked pretty good after the pregnancy. However, they were not as tight as they were before the pregnancy. Regarding your breasts, I stopped using tear drop implants many years ago as I have had an experience with the implant rotating and having to be re-operated  upon to correct.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

There are sometimes exceptions

+2

Generally, I agree with the other plastic surgeons who have answered this question. Ideally one should wait until they have finished having children with reasonable certainty. Sometimes however it may be many years in the future that one may be planning to have more children,and it may still be worthwhile to have surgery to look good right now. So there are exceptions, and there is no absolute rule.

Rodney A. Green, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover Revision

+1

The vast majority of women who undergo mommy makeover surgery are done having children. Rarely, women who have undergone this procedure change their minds about additional pregnancies or accidently become pregnant. Under these circumstances, a mommy makeover has no negative impact upon the pregnancy. Unfortunately, pregnancy has a negative impact upon the patient’s previous mommy makeover. Pregnancy recreates many of the patient’s original problems, including loose saggy skin, weakened abdominal muscles, stretch marks and breast sag.

Because of the significant investment in time, money and effort, I strongly recommend that patients be done having children before proceeding with mommy makeover surgery. Even when women don’t plan on having additional children their life circumstances may change and they may become pregnant. Under these circumstances, revision of the mommy makeover will probably be necessary. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeovers and more children

+1
I suggest to patients that they wait until after children before mommy makeover surgery. However, some patients have had the unexpected blessing of more children after surgery. These women did just fine with their pregnancies.  In fact, they both look great. However, it is definitely best to wait if you are planning on more children.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Staging a mommy makeover after pregnancy. Los Angeles surgeon

+1

There are many factors involved in a mommy makeover. If you are considering a rectus repair, you may want to stage your surgery with the breast first, and then the abdomen after pregnancy. Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Preganancy and Mommy Makeover

+1

You can have kids after a mommy makeover but you have to be prepared that you may need a touch up or revision. Mommy Makeovers are very safe and effective. We ensure safety through a proper physical exam, blood tests, a clearance from your primary doctor and a meetinfg with our board certified anesthesiologist. Safety should always be your forst priority. A mommy makeover is a combination od tummy tuck, in which the essence of the procedure is tightening your core, then secondarily redraping your skin to show off that tight core. The core tightening is essential because without it just skin removal is in effective. As we all know, skin stretches and will accomodate whatever the infrastructure (core) happens to be. Secondly a  breast procedure is done, usually implants to create a nutural, frash more youthful appearance. There is also some liposuction invloved arounf the flanks and hips to really shape the visible silhoutte. Given all this surgery and the general anesthesia we take extra preacaution to ensure your number one asset...yoiur health. As an adjunct I always give herbal supplements to help reduce the swelling and bruising. The treatment plans are as varied as the individuals.  Always seek a board certified plastic surgeon. After you meet him/her you will immediately know if they are the right surgeon to help you accomplish your goals.  Good luck on your procedure!!

Raj S. Ambay, MD

More kids

+1

If you are planning to have more children then i wouls advise you to wait prior to having the tummy tuck. The tear drop implant is a beautiful implant but not appropriate for all patients. This can best be discussed at the time of your examination

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Mommy makeover before the last pregnancy-Why?

+1

There is no good reason to go through this type of surgery and then to become pregnant after that.  The cost and the possible compromised results  would not be worth it.  Wait until you are finished to have elective surgery.  I am sure that your Plastic Surgeon would discuss all of the particulars of the use of different implants and placement either under the muscle or on top of the pectoralis at that time.  There is a reason to consider one location over another and this can be best described after a physical exam by your local Plastic Surgeon.

Good luck to you.

Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa Plastic Surgeon

Francis (Frank) William Rieger, MD