I Have Had a Kidney Transplant Now for 18yrs. This is my Second One. My GFR is 18%. Can I Use 3D Lipo?

Liposuction and Kidney Transplant

+1

Any compromise in renal function can complicate any liposuction case.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com/Liposuction.php

Cosmetic surgery and kidney disease

+1

That would depend on how much fat your surgeon plans on removing. With that low a GFR you have to be careful with the fluid balance changes that occur with this type of surgery. Fluid is injected and then suctioned out with the fat and then after surgery your body puts fluid back into the surgical site as part of the swelling process. Large 5000cc plus liposuction could be dangerous in such a setting. Liposuction of a few hundred cc would not. Intermediate amounts would need careful management by your internist/nephrologist together with your plastic surgeon.

If you mean 18 mL/min/1.73m2   that is pretty severe given normal values of 90 or more. Below 15 you would likely need dialysis. You need to be very careful about proceeding with any cosmetic surgery and also careful about the effect of any medications in terms of them making your kidney worse or not being normally cleared by your body. If your urine is high in protein (this is normally filtered out by the kidneys) cosmetic surgery would be a definite no.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.