Can Someone with 1 Kidney & Kidney Disease (W Normal Function) Have Breast Augmentation?

I had my right kidney removed in 2010. After weight loss of nearly 80lbs I am in desperate need of a lift and implants. I am concerned that I wont be able to receive implants due to kidney disease and only one kidney. Kidney function has remained within normal limits to date. If implants are out of the question should I at least be eligible for a lift? I'm a small C cup that looks ok in a bra but not out of one.

Breast augmentation/Lifting with One Kidney?

+2

Your renal “issue"  should not be an issue for  breast augmentation and/or breast lifting surgery. Because of the history of electrolytes should be checked shortly before surgery and your anesthesiologist  should be aware of your history and the  laboratory findings.

I would suggest in person consultation with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon.

Breast augmentation/lift with one kidney

+2

Hi.  As long as you have one healthy kidney this is functioning well, you should be able to undergo breast augmentation with lift.  As plastic surgeons, safety is our number one concern.  Breast augmentation/lift is a safe surgery as long as you are medically healthy.  Your plastic surgeon may want your nephrologist to clear you for surgery.

Sugene Kim, MD

Breast Implants with kidney disease

+2

As long as you are healthy with normal kidney function, there should be no reason why you cannot have cosmetic breast surgery, with or without implants.  With no photos, I would hesitate to suggest a specific operation, but you should discuss all of your goals with a board-certified plastic surgeon so all of your concerns can be addressed.

Bruce Genter, MD
Abington Plastic Surgeon

+2

Dear kit79tx,

You may still be a potential candidate for breast augmentation with a lift if your remaining kidney is working normally. Please consult your internist and a local Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Warmest wishes,

Larry Fan, MD

Larry Fan, MD

Breast Augmentation after kidney removal

+2

Whether you are healthy is the rate determining step.   If a patient has only one functioning kidney and the kidney is healthy, the patient is healthy, there is no reason that a breast augmentation cannot be performed safely.

Jonathan Berman, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Cosmetic surgery after removal of a kidney

+2

Without a photo or face to face examination it is impossible to say what procedure would be your best option. However, as long as your remaining kidney is sufficiently healthy to keep your blood chemistry normal you should not have a problem with almost any cosmetic surgery. Sometimes medication types and doseages have to be altered because you have only one kidney. If you  undergo a longer procedure or more aggressive surgery your doctors need to keep a closer eye on your fluid balance. Other than that you should be fine especially if you are currently not taking any medications.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Woman with one normal kidney can have breast lift and augmentation

+2

As long as your kidney is healthy and there is no infection you could have surgery to lift the breasts.  You could also have a breast augmentation with a lift.  The simpler and most risk free would be to just have a lift since you have an adequate breast volume as you mentioned.  You could always do an augmentation later if you change your mind.  Best wishes.

Louise Ferland, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Breast Surgery After Nephrectomy

+2

As long as the condition that required you to have your kidney removed (tumor, infection, stones) is under control and your remaning function is good you would be a fine candidate for surgery.

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS

Implants/lift ok

+2

As long as your current kidney function is normal, there is no surgical reason that you cannot have a lift/implants. Of course, you will need a complete history/physical/lab work taken by your surgeon and the agreement of your nephrologist. Good Luck!

Brian Klink, MD
Vacaville Plastic Surgeon