Kickboxing - Porcelain Veneers and Gum Shields?

Five years ago I had three broken teeth replaced with porcelain veneers. These were for my top two middle teeth (one required root canal), and one lateral incisor. I would like to now start kickboxing training (I trained extensively before this happened - the injury to my teeth was unrelated). Taking this into account how durable are these veneers compared to normal teeth, and how good are gum shields in protecting these teeth, considering the impact involved? Thank you.

Kickboxing with veneers

+2

I would not worry about the veneers as they are very strong.  My only suggestion would be to have your dentist fabricate a custom athletic guard to protect your teeth.

Philadelphia Cosmetic Dentist

Always wear a sports guard to protect your teeth!

+2

No worries about the veneers, they will be as strong as your natural teeth were.  You definitely want to protect your investment, especially with contact sports with a custom-fit mouthguard.

Carlo Biasucci, DDS
Ontario Cosmetic Dentist

When properly done porcelain veneers make teeth stronger

+2

A similar analogy for veneering of teeth with porcelain that I like to present to patients is the veneering of wood particle board (which is rather fragile) being veneered with Formica or other plastic laminate materials (which can last for year and years with extraordinary strength. The only fragile component of porcelain veneers is the part that may not be supported by underlying tooth structure such as in lengthening teeth and the incisal edges. This is the reason, I always prescribe a protective mouthguard for patients who engage is contact sports, especially kickboxing!

Gerry Curatola, DDS
Manhattan Cosmetic Dentist

Kickboxing vs Porcelain Veneers and a MouthGuard

+2

The veneered teeth should be as strong as your natural teeth. You definitely should have a dentist make a custom-made sports guard for your teeth to be worn during all of your practice sessions.

Jay Neuhaus, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist

Kickboxing and Veneers

+1

I am assured you will not have a problem....veneers are very durable and strong.  It sounds like you have extensive training in this sport. When you see your dentist, make sure he know your plans about resuming this sport so he can fabricate a custom mouthguard to protect your teeth.  You need to mindful of your veneers and do not take any chances unless you are training to go professional and always be good on the defense!

Robert Fields, DDS
Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist