Pulsed Dye Laser Advise and Estimate Legitimate?

I had Keratosis Pilaris for several years, and now have red scars all over my upper arms. I went to a Dermatologist in Los Angeles who offers all kinds of lasers. He recommended a short pulse flash lamp dye laser treatment to blend in the scarred areas with the skin surrounding them. He suggested three treatments at intervals of two weeks, for a cost of $2500 each. This sounds like a lot of money to me, so I wonder, are his advice and estimate legitimate?

Pulse dye laser for keratosis pilaris on arms

+1

Pulse dye laser can be used in some cases of keratosis pilaris.  The cost is around 400 to 500 dollars per treatment.  

Web reference: http://www.karemd.com

Pulsed Dye Laser for Red Scars

+1

Hello Dd72,

We agree that for the red scars that you describe that the pulsed dye laser would be a good option. Pulsed dye lasers are commonly use for conditions that have a vascular component like Rosacea, port wine stains, small hemangiomas and even some vein treatments so this is a good choice for a red based scar.

As for the price, it sounds like a bit much. It depends on how large the area is, but maybe between $500 and $800 per treatment. Hope this helps.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.