Pulsed Dye Laser Advise and Estimate Legitimate?

I had Keratosis Pilaris for several years, and now have red scars all over my upper arms. I went to a Dermatologist in Los Angeles who offers all kinds of lasers. He recommended a short pulse flash lamp dye laser treatment to blend in the scarred areas with the skin surrounding them. He suggested three treatments at intervals of two weeks, for a cost of $2500 each. This sounds like a lot of money to me, so I wonder, are his advice and estimate legitimate?

Pulse dye laser for keratosis pilaris on arms

Pulse dye laser can be used in some cases of keratosis pilaris.  The cost is around 400 to 500 dollars per treatment.  

Pulsed Dye Laser for Red Scars

Hello Dd72,

We agree that for the red scars that you describe that the pulsed dye laser would be a good option. Pulsed dye lasers are commonly use for conditions that have a vascular component like Rosacea, port wine stains, small hemangiomas and even some vein treatments so this is a good choice for a red based scar.

As for the price, it sounds like a bit much. It depends on how large the area is, but maybe between $500 and $800 per treatment. Hope this helps.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD