Ointment or Injections for Scar Tissue?

Is kenalog ointment as effective to reduce scar tissue post-op as kenalog injections?

Kenalog injections vs ointment for scar tissue

+1

First a point of clarification. A cut or incision made to surgically remove a mass or lesion will leave a scar. The scar tends to look worse ( red, raised, thickened) early on in the healing process. As healing progresses, six months to 1 year, the scar softens, smoothes out and blends in better with the adjacent skin.

Kenalog injections are effective, more so than ointment, in improving hypertrophic (heaped up) and keloid (overgrown) scars. Typically, you will need a series of injections, spaced at intervals of four weeks apart, depending on the size of the keloid or hypertrophic scar.

Kenalog

+1

Kenalog can be used to help with troublesome scars.  Too much is not good either.  I think that the injections will probably work better.

Steroid ointment for scars

+1

Unfortunately, steroid ointment is typically ineffective to manage hypertrophic scars or keloids. Injections are more effective but should be performed by a dermatologist or plastic surgeon with experience in injecting scar tissue.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Kenalog ointment or injections for scars

+1

In my experience injections provide a far more effective solution than ointments when it comes to managing hypertrophic scars, in most instances.