Kenalog Injections Years Later.

I had a rhinoplasty a little over two years ago. I love my new nose but the nostrils seem thicker. I assume its scar tissue. I have no interest in another rhinoplasty, however, I am interested in using Kenalog to thin my thicker nostrils. They aren't too wide; just too thick. Before I contact my surgeon, I want to know, is it too late to use Kenalog or is this a practical option? Are there any other nonsurgical methods to reduce thick skin or scar tissue due to rhinoplasty?

Kenalog at 2 years post-op

+1

Kenalog is definitely more effective during the healing phase (1st year) but may help further out - there is little risk in trying one injection to see if there is any improvement

Kenalog 2 years after Rhinoplasty not advised

+1

I have performed Rhinoplasty for over 20 years and do ue kenalog 10, on occasion, after a Rhinoplasty.  Kenalog injections, are the most useful early (first 1-6 months) in the post op Rhinoplasty healing phase where swelling is trapped within the nasal tissues causing the body to replace it with scar tissue.  As time goes on, the healing slows, the scar tissue is stable and the effects of the kenalog injections taper however, the risks increase.  The main risk of using kenalog injections, at 2 years post Rhinoplasty IMO, would be the possible indentation the kenalog could cause.  the indentation would not be symmetric, nor treatable but would be permanent.  IMO, the time for kenalog injections has long since past.

Kenalog for thick skin?

+1

kenalog changes the balance of collagen metabolism in a scar leading to net decrease. the problem is that it can do it in skin as well and lead to excessive thinning, formnation of blood vessels, and in the worst case exposure of the underlying framework or grafts. you cannot expect to control the effect.

Rafael C. Cabrera, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Kenalog for skin thinning

+1
Kenalog is used for spot specific swelling in the first several weeks after rhinoplasty. It sounds like your concern is related to skin thickness, and not swelling. It is not possible to thin out the skin with kenalog. Michrl Siegel, MD

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kenalog to thin the skin

+1

Low concentration Kenalog can be effective in softening scar tissue and higher concentrations can also thin the skin, but thinning the skin is unpredictable, and often associated with other skin changes, such as the development of dilated blood vessels.

I would not recommend attempting to use Kenalog to try to thin the skin anywhere, and certainly not in the nose.

James Nachbar, MD

Rhinoplasty & kenalog

+1

It is very  uncommon to have symmetrical theckining of nostrils , due to scar formation following rhinoplasties. This condition can be easily detected/diagnosed buy a simple nose examination . Injection of kenalog into scar tissues (in very small dose) could be considered if you have formed hyperplastic scars or keloids . If you have thick or sebacious skin , there are some products & treatments to improve the quality of your skin. 

Fereydoon S. Mahjouri, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Kenalog to thin nostril skin

+1
Kenalog for thinning the skin in the nostrils is not recommended. Kenalog is used sometimes to reduce tip swelling in the first year post surgery. Sometimes the nostrils may be flared after the procedure and a process called weir surgery is done to reduce the actual nostril size. This is typically something that is done at the time of surgery and can usually be predicted preoperatively when examining the nose and determining the surgical plan. This is not for reducing the thickness of the nostril skin. It would be unlikely that the nostril skin itself has actually thickened due to your procedure and kenalog is an absolute no in that area. Enjoy your new nose and go into your surgeons office and discuss your concerns. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD