Kenalog Injections for Eczema Treatment?

Is Kenalog injections for Eczema a common practice for dermatologists? How often can you take this medication?

Not Recommended Except for Severe Cases

+1

This is not my first choice for eczema treatment. Nor even my last. It has become somewhat axiomatic not to use kennalog injections unless the patient has a very severe flare "to get them over the hump". Even then, most dermatologists will use oral steroids and then immediately begin to taper the dosage. In my nearly 30 years of practice, I have yet to give a steroid injection for eczema. So, in my opinion I would not give an injection at all.

The reason: patients get such relief that they crave another injection. Since atopic dermatitis is such a chronic disease, there is a strong risk of developing severe side effects such as aseptic necrosis of the hip ( loss of blood supply to the hip with resultant death of the bone), osteoporosis, cataracts, and diabetes.
There has been an increased effort in the pharmacologic community to provide us dermatologists with non-steroidal treatments for this vexing condition.
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.