Is Kenalog Harmful to Flat Scars?

i have a small flat burn on my tummy that is red and I have treated it well and it is not raised and is only still very red. my dermatologist talked me into injecting small amount of kenalog into it and now it looks a bit indented and is still red. Is this permanent?! what can be done about it? he said it was a VERY small dose and would have no side effects except reducing redness. he also suggested doing vbeam for the redness. Is the best thing to just leave alone and wait it out?

Treatment of flat red scars

+1

Kenalog works by both thinning the collagen of the scar and by stopping the fibroblasts (cells that make collagen) from making more collagen in the area injected.  So, if a flat scar is injection, there is a potential for thinning the skin so that the resultant scar is somewhat indented. Usually this fills back to normal.

Flat red scars can either be left alone or one might consider a IPL or vascular laser such as a pulse dye laser to reduce redness.

It does take up to a year for the scar to acquire its final characteristics.

Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Micro-needling can help reverse dermal impressions created by Kenalog

+1

Kenalog is a potent steroid with a strong anti-inflammatory effects.  It is used for the treatment of hypertrophic and keloid scars, so if used on a flat scar there is a risk of creating a dermal depression due to tissue loss.  However, if the depression persists, you can consider micro-needling and/or dye-laser treatment, both which have good probability of stimulating the dermal layer, which in turn can reverse the effect of the indentation.  I would also suggest the use of Retinol cream to induce intra-dermal generation of collagen.

Alexandra Chambers, MD
London Dermatologist