Kenalog 40 Injection?

What would be the appropriate amount of time to uses Kenalog 40/Cortisone injection for excess scar tissue & neuroma removed from the Upper Lip? Lip is still raised and firm in certain part under nostril and along the Philtrum. I have been massaging for a solid 1 and half months. It’s been 2 and half months to date since surgery. Thank you.

Scarring can be improved with Kenalog and vascular pulsed dye laser

+1

I would use a less potent Kenalog and couple the injections with vascular laser to reduce scarring and inflammation. 

Kenalog injection

+1

If the scar is truly hypertrophic, then kenalog can help in the healing of the scar and it is better to have this done sooner rather than later.  I would return to your surgeon to have the scar evaluated and if it is hypertrophic, then it should be able to be treated with kenalog now, at two and a half months after your surgery.

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scar tissues

+1

Some doctors start with lower concentrations ie 10 or 20 injected on a monthly basis and only increase to 40 if the lower concentations do not work. Side effects include-thinning of skin, increase blood vessels and lightening of the color of your skin.

Vicki J. Levine, MD