Can I get keloids if I pierce my ears?

After surgeries on my legs and abdomen i was left with raised incision marks which are still there. They were darker initially and even though the have blended into my skin tone they are still raised.

Keloids

+1
Keloids can be treated with intralesional cortisone injections and lasers.  If you have a tendency to keloid elsewhere, you are an an increased risk of having keloids elsewhere.  If you have a family history of keloids or have darker skin, you are also at an increased risk.

Keloids After Surgery

+1
If you have a history of scarring or pigmentating after trauma to the skin then you should beware when getting a piercing.  There is nothing you can do to predict if you will get a keloid, but if they do begin to develop, you should go to a dermatologist or plastic surgeon immediately for treatment.  I wish you the best of luck, Dr. Emer.

Can I get keloids if I pierce my ears?

+1
This is certainly possible. Scars on the face typically heal better than scars on the chest, back or extremities. However, keloids on the ear following ear piercing are very common. The risk tends to be higher in people with darker skin types. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ear piercing and keloids

+1
The short answer to your question is that yes you can get a keloid if you pierce your ears. If you have keloids on other parts of your body or if you have a strong family history of keloids, then you can develop them there as well. In fact earlobe keloids are common in African Americans who have a history of keloids.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Plato's Scar Serum and scars

+1
Keloids can occur on anyone, particularly if you have a family history and/or a personal history of keloids. If you are piercing your ears, maintain good hygeine in the area and use Plato's Scar Serum twice daily to help avoid scars. 

Raffy Karamanoukian MD FACS
Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS