Keloids and Hypertrophic Scarring from Breast Reduction

I had breast reduction surgery seven months ago, and I have hypertrophic scarring and keloids. I have had two sessions of injections with steroids, and I am using the silicone sheets. Is there a laser that will help? They look awful.

Breast Reduction and Scar Treatment?

+1

It sounds like you are doing inappropriate things for treatment of the breast scars.  Sometimes scar revision surgery and careful scar management afterwards may be helpful. Despite anecdotal reports otherwise I have not seen significant improvement with laser treatment of scars.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_breastreduction.htm

Thick scars after breast reduction surgery

+1

Developing thick scars after breast reduction surgery is a possible complication. There are multiple reasons why this may have occurred. If you tend to scar thickly throughout your body this may be the cause. However, if you tend to scar well in other areas of the body then the thickness of the scars in this area may be due to the way this area may have healed after surgery or to the amount of tension that was placed onto the skin at the time of surgery. In our practice, we evaluate patients with these conditions and we determine whether a small steroid injection may help settle the scar or the patient would best be served by a scar revision to remove these thick red scars and to replace them with thinner ones

Keloid scars from breast reduction surgery

+1

Keloid scars are very difficult to treat.  Steroids and excision are usually the first modality. Pressure dressings, local radiation, 5-FU, Aldera, etc. may all help.

Try IPL laser

+1

The Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) laser can be used on scars with some dramatic results at times.  Give this a try to see if your sacrs can be made better.  Good Luck!

Combination of Kenalog and 5-FU can be beneficial

+1

Keloid scar can be very difficult to treat and greatly add to the normal scars of a breast reduction. There are new studies out that show a combination of Kenalog (a steroid) and 5-FU a chemotherapeutic agent used together can be successful in the treatment of keloid scarring. Best suggestion is to ask your plastic surgeon about this treatment. I have found that this combination can be quite effective.

Good Luck

Keloids and hypertrophic scarring

+1

I have found a couple of lasers/light devices that is the pulsed-dye laser (v-beam) and the IPL (intense pulsed light) to be particularly helpful as scars are maturing - especially if there is pinkness/redness in the scars. Steroid injections can be continued and if the keloids do not appear to be responding to cortisone injections, a higher concentration of cortisone should be considered.

Good luck.

San Diego Dermatologist