Keloid Scars and Tummy Tuck is That a Problem?

I have a consultation in Lenox Hill Hospital.I am don't know if I should cancel my consultation because I am afraid I will be turn away. I am 5'1 and I weight 150. I Want to get a tummy tuck but my main concern is the keloid scar that I have on my upper stomach. Do you know if that will be able to be remove. I am also afraid to get a TT because my skin easily gets keloid when I have a surgery done.

Scars can be revised and sometimes completely removed at the time of tummy tuck.

+1

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon to determine if your scars are really keloids or if they are hypertrophic scars.  There are some good treatments to prevent bad scarring after surgery and the scar that you have may be able to be revised at the time of tummy tuck.  See two or more board-certified plastic surgeons to be sure.

Just because you go for the consultation doesn't mean that you have to get the surgery.  Look at it as an information gathering session. I hope this helps.

Best of luck.

Can I get a keloid after Tummy Tuck surgery?

+1

Keloid scars are a tough problem to deal with and there is no ideal treatment.  In my experience, however, true keloid scars are rare and most people that think they have keloids really only have widened or hypertrophic scars.  The only way to know what type of scars you form is to get the expert opinion of a plastic surgeon.  They will look at the way you have scarred in the past and tell you if you are at risk for poor scarring after cosmetic surgical procedures. 

When patient's of mine have bad scars from prior surgeries or cuts, I will usually take precautions to minimize scarring as much as possible.  This is done by using special sutures that dissolve quicker or by injecting steroids into the wound as it is healing. Your surgeon would be able to tell you what method would be best for you.  Hope this helps.

Erez Sternberg, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Keloid scars and tummy tuck can be a problem

+1

Keloid scars can become a problem after tummy tuck and if you have a history of keloid, or a similar experience in another location you could be in for troubles. Keloid scars are location specific and unlikely to involve the total length of  the tummy tuck incision, though the area above the pubis is a key keloid zone.

Peter Johnson, MD

Keloids and Cosmetic Surgery

+1

Keloids are a difficult problem when it comes to cosmetic surgery.  There is a risk that all of your incisions may keloid.  Therefore, you'd have to be willing to trade a nice cosmetic result for possible keloid scars.  However, I do treat many keloids successfully with excision and steroids, so if you do keloid the scars can be treated but there is no guarantee that they will go away forever as keloids have a high recurrence rate.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD