Is Keloid Scarring Possible Around the Eyes if Laser Resurfacing is Performed?

Is keloid scarring possible around the eyes if laser resurfacing is performed for wrinkles or pigmentation or dark circles correction?

Eyelid Keloids/Extremely Unlikely

+2

Scar and/or Keloid (uncontrolled, bad scar) formation with any type of procedure is possible and the eye is no exception.  It used to be thought that the eyelid is protected from Keloid scar formation but I saw a  case recently,  a case referred to me by another surgeon after they performed eyelid plastic surgery.  While I am not aware of a Keloid case after lower eyelid laser treatment, if the treatment is invasive enough in a super high risk patient, it could be possible.  I believe Keloid formation around the eye is extremely unlike, about the same odds of getting struck by lightening! Good news, I was able to make the scar go away with a different laser treatment, using non invasive laser treatment.   Best answer, make sure you doctor is a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist, with a lot of experience!

Keloid Scarring Unlikely around the Eyes with Laser Treatments

+1

This is a low risk, though there are always exceptions to the rule.  Of course, the most important safeguard you will take is choosing the artist/doctor performing your treatment.

If a nurse is performing the treatment, find out how many they have performed, and ask yourself if you feel more comfortable with a nurse or a board certified physician.

Lighter treatments obtain less results with less risk.  Deeper treatments with a laser get better results with more downtime, and with more risks.

An experienced doctor and a good follow up routine can minimize and avoid these risks.  Best of luck, and let us know if you have any additional questions!

Richard Castellano, MD
Tampa Facial Plastic Surgeon

Keloids are rare around the eyelid from laser

+1

Keloids and hypertrophic scars are not common on eyelid skin, but a feared complication of laser resurfacing of the periorbital area, or eyelid skin, is contraction of the skin leading to the lower eyelid being pulled away from the eye causing the tears not to bathe the eye with moisture and the cornea can dry our causing a keratitis (inflammation of the cornea) and eventual scarring which can cover the pupil causing obstructed vision, not to mention, that it can be very uncomfortable.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Keloids are a very rare complication of laser resurfacing around the eyes

+1

Keloids are a very rare complication of laser resurfacing around the eye. Persistent redness after a procedure is an indication that a keloid may form.

Edward Lack, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

Keloid Scarring Around Eyes

+1

Keloids are scars that grow beyond the boundaries of the scar itself. In other words they tend to grow up and outward almost like a mushroom. Hypertrophic scars are scars that are raised about the skin surface so when you run your finger along it you feel a firm ridge or bulge. Either could happen following ablative laser resurfacing, but keloids would be very rare around the eyes. At the same time hypertrophic scarring or scarring (even if flat and smooth but with different color and texture) would be a very bad result. To minimize complications or risks I suggest that you see a dermatologist or plastic surgeon with training and experience in the procedure.

Andrew Kaufman, MD

Keloid formation with Laser Skin Resurfacing

+1
Keloid formation is possible with any surgery. The laser is typically not an extremely invasive procedure however if used incorrectly it could cause keloid formation in patients who are susceptible to the scar formation. If you are a patient who has experienced keloid scarring inform your surgeon at the consulting phase and they will decide if you are a proper candidate for the desired procedure.

Michael Elam, MD