Keloid Removal Surgery on a 3-year-old?

My 3 year old daughter has a one inch keloid scar on her face. I am wondering, how much of this can be reduced with surgery?

Keloid scars in children

+1

Childhood scars fair better than adult scars, but keloids continue to present major problems in adults and children. I would begin conservative treatment first with TAC injection, topical treatments, and silicone sheeting. Surgery should be a last resort, as is the case with radiation.

Keloid in a child

+1

While it is not impossible to have a keloid at 3, it is not common. It possibly could be a hypertrophic scar. Sometimes conservative management with silicone sheeting and compressive garments may be better. When the child is older, a scar revision may be helpful if it is a hypertrophic scar. If it is a true keloid, it could require other things combined with surgery such as steroid injections or even local radiation.

Avoid invasive procedures on children, if possible

+1

I would be hesitant to perform invasive procedure on a 3-year-old for keloid treatment. From my previous managment of pediatric burn patients, I can tell you that most kids heal very well. What worked very well with kids, was silicone sheet treatment plus or minus compression.Injection could be the next level of action in big facial keloids. The effect of steroids on premature closure of bone ends should be well considerd but unlikely due to the small concentration and local delivery.

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Keloid in a 3 year old.

+1

Keloids are a problem which continue to stump the medical community. This is very unusual in a 3 year old. What was the cause? Will it continue to be a problem?

These are questions that are best answered by a qualified physician after a history and physical examination.

It is quite possible that this will recur.

Keloid

+1

You need to see an experienced, board certified plastic surgeon or facial plastic surgeon who will evaluate your child's problem, the cause, whether it is a keloid or some other lesion, take a medical history to include the growth of this lesion over time, trauma to the region, etc., and then discuss options with you. The keloid can be fully removed, but there is no guarantee it will not return, but a physician experienced in treating keloids can determine which method would be best and usually it is multi-modality, that is the use of multiple techniques including a various combinations of excision, steroid injections, compression, topical silicone sheeting, and rarely radiation treatments (usually reserved for recurrent and recalcitrant lesions and not for children). Regardless, there will still be some scar residual, but hopefully it would be less than the disfigurement with the keloid. Proper timing (age of the patient) will also be discussed with you after the above evaluation.

Theodore Katz, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon