Products to Get Rid of Keloid Scar?

I have a keloid scar on my chest. Are there any skin care products out there I can use to get rid of it?

Scarstick medicated ointment for keloid and hypertrophic scars

+1

Keloid scars can be caused by an inflammatory reaction to sebum. In these specific circumstances, an exfoliating solution should be used to reduce sebum content.   In other cases, I would advise using scarstick to reduce the size of the keloid or hypertrophic scar. 

Be careful about surgical intervention alone...

+1

Keloids are frustrating for surgeons as they have a high tendency to recur and, because we often have to make the wound larger to remove them, when they recur they are often larger than the original keloid.

Many docs recommend a three prong approach to keloids. Excision, steroid injection (often several) and external beam radiation are my typical protocol. The radiation is delivered at the hospital and is painless. Often three radiation treatments are done to reduce the amount of radiation in each individual treatment.

Robert Frank, MD
Munster Plastic Surgeon

Keloid Treatments

+1

Keloids and hypertrophic scars (raised scars) are difficult to treat, especially on areas such as the chest and back.

I treat many such scars in the office, and usually start with injections of steroid into the scar at regular intervals, along with topical therapy.

Over the counter creams, such as Mederma, may help the scar become a bit flatter, but the effects are relatively mild and generally slow to appear. It turns out that occlusion, or covering the scar, is helpful. Silicone sheeting has been used with some success to reduce the thickness of keloid and hypertrophic scars. There was even a recent study that showed that covering raised scars with surgical tape reduced the thickness of the scar over time.

In the end, I would advise you to have a dermatologist evaluate and treat the scar. That would give you the best chance of quickly resolving the condition.

Ilya Reyter, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist