Do I Have a Keloid Scar on my Face? Or is It Something Else? (photo)

Hello Doctors, recently I have noticed an unusual growth on the side my nose. I can not distinguish what it is. It is truly distressing because I am afraid to think that it could possibly be a Keloid scar. I am 21 and have never had a Keloid anywhere else on my body and my family has no history of keloid scarring. The growth does not itch and it came about spontaneously. Is this just skin irritation? I would greatly appreciate any responses.

Keloids are rare on the face

+1

I do not think this is a keloid but a dermatologist will be able to figure this out with your help. They will need a little more information on the history of this mark. So go see your doctor so you dont worry.

Paramus Dermatologic Surgeon

It might be a "hypertrophic scar".

+1

Dear AV,

Thank you for the photo. I can see the elevated line, and another elevated line off to the left of it (closer to your left ear). Also, I notice that you have some indentations in your skin. A board-certified dermatologist is trained to help improve the appearance of all of this. You may have what is called a "hypertrophic scar", and there are several therapies available for this. What is needed first is an examination of your face by a dermatologist, and then a discussion about available treatments. Thank you.

Alpharetta Dermatologic Surgeon

Spontaneous Lesion on Face, Not a Keloid

+1

Hi AV,

You do not have a keloid scar.  Keloids develop after a wound to the skin, they do not appear spontaneously.  You should consult with a dermatologist or your general physician for an evaluation.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P