Keloid Removal with Rubber Bands? (photo)

I have been stuck with this keloid for about 5 years now, and i really want to get rid of it. Its big like a size a big grape. I really want to try this method but i wonder if its going to work on big keloid? i never found my answer. please help me answer this question.

Keloid

+1

I have treated thousands of these in my career. They need surgical excision and reconstruction with adjuvant treatment

Keloid Removal with Rubber Bands?

+1

PLEASE do not attempt "home remedies"!!! See a PS in your city to have excision + steroid + possible radiation at same time interval. 

Keloids and Rubber Bands are Not a Match

+1

As my colleagues have pointed out, the rubber band remedy is best avoided.  Keloids are an abnormal scarring response to injury and look different than regular scar tissue under a microscope.  The literature shows that all excisional techniques carry a roughly 50% recurrence rate.  The best approach is to use some form of injectable anti-inflammatory like kenalog in a staged series of injections prior to excising the softened and sometimes diminished keloid.  My concern is that rubber band strangulation may irritate the keloid and make it far worse.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Keloid Removal with Rubber Bands?

+1

I agree with the sentiment of my colleagues that rubber bands will not work and you should not try this at home. With that said, there are published techniques using suture ligation of keloids that work well. This requires several visits to your surgeons office and a significant period of time for the keloid to essentially become starved of a blood supply and fall off. The best and most expeditious option, however, is to have it surgically removed in the office by a plastic surgeon. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Surgical removal of a keloid

+1

I treat a lot of keloids and the most reliable treatment in my practice is surgical excision and closure of the keloids.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Keloid removal with rubber bands

+1

The only safe and effective method to remove the keloid from your ear is to have it surgically removed.  You should definitely not try and remove it with a rubber band, which could potentially cause other problems and even make it worse.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Removing keloids with rubber bands

+1

If you decide to try this, I also have some very nice beachfront property in Arizona to sell you. In other words, NO! No one should perform procedures like this at home! These are surgical operations that need to be done by trained physicians only. What are you going to do when the site bleeds profusely, or has sack of fluid in it, or has such a bad infection afterwards that you end up in the hospital? All of these things have happened to patients I know, who I am now taking care of and trying to resolve issues they caused with home care for moles, warts, keloids, etc. Stop treating yourself and reading about silliness on the internet. Go to a physician for a consultation and proper surgical care.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD