Procedure and Cost for Removing Keloid on Ear?

I have a keloid behind my ear and on top of my left ear. What treatment should I have get rid of them, and how much will it cost?

Cost of keloid treatment

+1

The most cost effective treatment for your keloid will be one that minimizes the risk of the keloid coming back.  Be sure to find a doctor with experience in treating these.

The specific cost will depend upon your geographic location, and complexity of the keloid that needs treatment.

Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Keloid treatment

+1

Ear keloids can initially be managed with a series of injections with cortisone. If after the series of injections, the appearance of the keloids still is not to your satisfaction, excision can be considered. The recurrence rate of keloids after excision, however, can be quite high (50% or greater) although there are additional measures that can be taken to reduce that risk including application of special pressure earrings and continued injection of the surgical site after surgical removal of the keloid. You would need to call around to various offices of dermatologists and plastic surgeons to obtain pricing.

Good luck.

San Diego Dermatologist

Keloid procedure

+1

Keloids can be challenging becuase they can recur.  Sometimes they are excised and injected with steroids repeatedly. Sometimes local radiation is needed after excision.  The fee can vary from region to regio so it is difficult to give you a fee quote.

Keloid treatments

+1

Any keloid has the chance of recurrence with any form of treatment. However, the best chance of preventing recurrence is the use of several modalities at once - that is excision with kenalog injections, compression earrings (if tolerated and amenable), and close observation with injections at the first sign of recurrence (although some physicians would routinely use a course ofpost-repair steroid injections). The use of silicone gel or strips may also be beneficial. The chance of "cure" may be over 70% but that still means that there is an almost one in three chance of recurrence. There is research ongoing to newer treatments. Radiation therapy is used only in rare cases.

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.