Best Keloid Removal Method For Body And Face

I am soon going to get health insurance so that i can go to a specialist to talk about my keloids which i have on my chest, back, right shoulder and jaw line.. They're not particularly huge but still makes me a little self conscious and one thing i wanted to know is, are injections reliable enough? would cutting them out be a good option? (followed by injections) or laser surgery maybe? what is the best treatment, and one that is reasonable in price as well. Thank you.

Treating keloids

+1

There are lots of treatment options for keloids, but certainly you would want to stop any inciting cause of your keloids such as acne with a treatment plan from your dermatologist. While silicone gels and sheeting can provide modest benefit in softening and flattening scars, the best treatment option is typically intralesional cortisone, sometimes along with liquid nitrogen. Certain keloids may be cut out, although there is a fairly high risk of recurrence of the keloid so you would have to do some sort of concurrent therapy such as with intralesional cortisone or topical imiquimod. Lasers can flatten scars a little, but are mainly used to reduce the redness of keloids. Chat with your dermatologist about your best treatment options based on the size & extent of your keloids, your skin colour, and budget.

Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Treatment options for keloids

+1

The first place to start in treating keloids is to remove whatever is causing them.  Keloids can arise on their own, but often on the face, chest and back they are a result of acne eruptions.  So treating the acne will help reduce the number of keloids that might arise from it.

There are a number of different treatments for keloids.  One treatment that has been shown to help flatten keloids is silicone gel sheeting.  It is a rubbery sheet made of silicone that is applied to the keloid and worn 24 hours a day (except showering).  Silicone gel sheeting helps flatten the keloid by the constant pressure it provides.

I usually start keloid treatments with intralesional (meaning into the keloid itself) Kenalog (steroid) injection.  For most small keloids this will flatten them over a period of time.  Some keloid may require more than one injection approximately one month apart.  Once the keloid is flattened, it may stay quiet or it may become active again and require more injections. Pre-treating the keloid with a pulse dye laser works well in conjunction with intralesional Kenalog injections.

There are other treatments that are used for keloids if Kenalog injections fail.  Pulse dye lasers have been shown to improve keloids.   Surgical excision by itself carries a high risk of recurrence and worsening of the keloids, but when combined with kenalog injections, imiquimod cream or radiation therapy the chances of improvement are better.

Please remember that keloids are very active tissue and respond to trauma by growing.  Please consult with a board certified dermatologist for a more definitive treatment plan.

Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon