Keloid Removal for 15 Year Old?

Can a 15 year old get plastic surgery to get keloid in the neck / chest area removed?

Keloid scars and surgery in young adolescents

+1

Absolutely. Keloids require medical and surgical treatment to correct and prevent deformity.  A 15 year old is not too young to undergo a procedure.

Keloid in neck or chest difficult to treat with surgery

+1

I would try to treat this with injections first. If this fails, surgery may be the only option. However, some feel that the teenage years are not the ideal time for scar healing. Depending on the keloids characteristics and the patient's emotional state, a difficult decision may have to be made. No matter what course of action is taken, keloids are difficult to improve and can become worse. Don't be in any rush to move to surgery.

Parham Ganchi, PhD, MD
Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Plastic surgery for chest wall keloid

+1

I would not recommend this ESPECIALLY for a teenager. Keloids anywhere can recur and I don't attempt to excise them until the patient has stopped growing. That said, the chest wall is usually going to come back so treat it with injections if it is symptomatic.

Beverly Johnson, MD
Washington DC Dermatologist

Keloid treatment

+1

A keloid will usually come back if only excised. Sometimes it can be combined with serial cortisone injections, pressure dressing, silicone sheeting or even local radiation if it recurs.

Keloid in 15 year-old.

+1

I would consider a series of cortisone and/or 5-fluorouracil injections into the keloid. The risk of excising a keloid (especially in the mid chest) is a high rate of recurrence and in some cases, a larger keloid than you started with. Depending on the age and appearance of the scar, silicone gel sheeting may or may not be beneficial.

Good luck.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Keloid of Neck and Chest

+1

Can you give a little more information - What was the cause of the keloid (trauma, infection, excision of a lesion, lacerations, etc)? Are there any other sites of the body that had cuts that required stitches that formed or did not form keloids? Have there been prior treatments of this keloid and what were they? Most keloids require multimodality approach to include excision, kenalog injections, compression, silicone sheeting (beneath the compression garment), and rarely radiation treatments (although I would hesitate to do this on a teenager). Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in treatment of keloid and traumatic scars or an expert in burn wounds (since many of these patients will form keloids).

Theodore Katz, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Excision, kenalog injection, compression and radiation in severe keloid cases

+1

Surgical removal of a keloid could be done at 15 years of age, if other measures did not help (e.g injection,compression etc.).

If exision is planned it is better to combine it with intraoperative excision. Best of luck.

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS