Keloid Scar from Lipoma Removal on Keloid-prone Skin?

I have keloid-prone skin. If I get a lipoma removed, will the scar most likely turn into a keloid?

Keloids and lipoma removal or mole removal

+1

Possible to get keloids from any incision into the dermis.  I would contact a surgeon who is familiar with both issues.  See the link below.

Correction of keloid scar from a previous lipoma surgery

+1

Correcting keloid scars can be quite difficult. Although the surgery is straightforward to remove them, you have a very high probability of the keloid scar returning. Your best bet, is to be evaluated by a board-certified plastic surgeon with a great deal of experience in keloid surgery. They may recommend steroid injections before the surgery or may recommend the excision of the keloid and then immediate treatment with radiation.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Keloid with Lipoma Removal

+1

If you have formed keloids in the past, there is a high likihood of forming a keloid with lipoma excision.  There are certain things which can be done to lessen the chances of keloid formation.  You should discuss this with your surgeon.

John Whitt, MD